Corsair Community

5000D Fan Configuration with h150i Elite Capellix

KEzzAP

Hi I want to ask a question about a configuration that I want to build. My plan is to have h150i Elite Capellix as AIO. It comes with 3x 120RGB fans + commander xt 

I plan to buy 6 additional ML 120 Pro White LED fans. Can these two types of fans be used together?  Both are ML fans that should be no problem right? Can I also mix the in build fans without having any problem? 

How would you connect these fans to the fan hubs? I would have 12 fan headers 6 from commander xt + 6 from the case. Which fan would go the which header to use their LED and the Pmw features? 

2 hours ago, KEzzAP said:

I plan to buy 6 additional ML 120 Pro White LED fans

I am not sure if you mean ML120 PRO LED (white), which is a single color LED fan from 5 years ago or a white frame  ML120 RGB fan.  Either way, I would suggest you look at something else if you want RGB control.  The ML-LED is the old style 'always on' single color fan.  The ML-Pro is being replaced by the ML-Elite series that has 8 LEDs, just like the fans you are getting on the Elite AIO.  The key to matching different fans s to keep the same number of LEDs per unit.

The ML-Elite series are about to be released for sale.  They are a lighting match to the AIO fans and can be plugged in with any order.  No special requirements.  They should be available in white and black frames.  If you are in a rush, you also can use the SP-Elite fans that comes on several case models.  They are 8 LEDs and designed as a match for the AIO fan.  Either way, make sure you are looking at 'Elite' fans and not one of the other "Pro" models.  

You most likely will want a PWM repeater (powered) to help handle the current load and connections for 12.  This connects to one PWM header on the Commander Core controller and passes the signal on to all connected fans.  You should have one in the case already (bare circuit board type).  

The RGB connectors will need to be split between the two devices (Com Core and the LNCore from the case).  Each controller will act like a separate group for lighting purposes (1-6 and 7-9, not 1-9).  You will want to pair the fans together in a way that makes sense for your layout.  

Ok, thank you for your answers. A couple of questions then:

First and foremost is it a good idea to mix ML fans with SP fans? (This is a new territory to me to be honest)

Can the SP 120 Elite fans be connected to the commander core that comes with the AIO cooler that I buy. Can I be able to individually control them? And let's assume a scenario that I bought 7 120 SP fans, 3 goes front 3 goes side, 1 goes back. 3 connects to the commander pro and 4 to the fan repeater on the case. In that case I can set only one rpm to the fan repeater which makes these 4 fans to run on the same speed? And the color choice would also be the same?   

3 hours ago, KEzzAP said:

Hi I want to ask a question about a configuration that I want to build. My plan is to have h150i Elite Capellix as AIO. It comes with 3x 120RGB fans + commander xt

Doesn't that come with the Commander Core rather than the Commander Core XT?

If you buy at least 3 of the extra fans as a '3 pack' you'll get a Lighting Node Core in the pack, that together with the Commander Core gives you enough RGB connections for individual control of the RGB function of the fans.

The fan power/speed control connections will mean that any fans you connect to the case PWM repeater will all run at the same speed, fans connected individually to the Commander Core will have individual speed control.

1 minute ago, KEzzAP said:

But what about the mixing of SP and ML type fans?

There is no problem mixing SP-Elite and ML-Elite (the AIO fan or retail version about to launch) fans.  They were specifically designed for each other.  Each has 8 center hub mounted LEDs and they should be match for color hue/tone.  This "new" ML-Elite retail version that is launching has some tweaks to the frame design.  May or may not be of interest, but as a case fan performance should be about the same.  

1 hour ago, KEzzAP said:

3 connects to the commander pro and 4 to the fan repeater on the case. In that case I can set only one rpm to the fan repeater which makes these 4 fans to run on the same speed?

Yes, everything on the PWM repeater will run the same speed, but something like the 3 radiator fans or 3 intake fans don't need individual speed control.  The rear exhaust is the only one that definitely needs it's own port.  RGB is completely separate from PWM speed control side of the controller.  No connection between the sides at all and you could use 6 PWM fans on one side and 6 other fans on the RGB side.  No functional connection and all Corsair RGB fans have 2 wires -- one for RGB and one for fan motor power/speed control.  

• Like 1