Corsair Community

Corsair iCue H100i ELITE CAPELLIX : How do I wire it up?

This is the predicament i’m in, I have the Corsair Elite Capellix h115i installed and waiting for a CPU in a few days (12900k) I have the Pump Tach wire(2) connected to CPU_FAN as it recommends, two radiator fans(3) plugged into CPU_OPT with a splitter, three intake fans(1) plugged into CHA_FAN4 and lastly, one exhaust fan(4) plugged into CHA_FAN 5, the photo has fan headers marked (red) that i’m not able to to use for clearance reasons. GPU fans were hitting the cables, sadge.

MY QUESTION IS:

If my radiator fans are plugged into CPU_OPT, can I control them separate from the pump? I was doing some thinking; and it seems the CPU pump gets it power from SATA using the Commander Core, that also has usb 2.0 header for the motherboard; which I assume controls the pump speed?

So. do I have any problems if I setup the PC this way? my motherboard manual (z690-E) states both CPU_FAN & CPU_OPT have Q-Control which I understand; and Shared Control whatever that is? photos belowC5D3B1F5-8684-4D35-98A0-3558FD0178CC.thumb.jpeg.8a80a3c79c7d46b638c0145b997e32b8.jpegFEA32602-D9D8-4208-8255-289D7B4A4E13.thumb.jpeg.306004226b3c6adc0e9b2472fffbed54.jpeg

Any comments are appreciated!

This is my first build and it was hard work to get here.

RTX 3080ti

i9 12900k

32gb DDR5 4800mhz

Asus ROG z690-E

Corsair RM850x 

I have the same motherboard with an H150i Elite LCD that also has a Commander Core.  Pump tach cable is connected the same as yours - for the radiator fans, why use a splitter on the CPU_OPT?  I'd recommend plugging the Commander Core in there, and connecting your radiator fans to the Commander Core. Then use iCUE to control your fans however you'd like; I've attached a snip of mine for reference.
 CCore_cooling.png.b3edc0b8c41e1f513fe2cf566118f2c9.png

5 minutes ago, Synica1 said:

I have the same motherboard with an H150i Elite LCD that also has a Commander Core.  Pump tach cable is connected the same as yours - for the radiator fans, why use a splitter on the CPU_OPT?  I'd recommend plugging the Commander Core in there, and connecting your radiator fans to the Commander Core. Then use iCUE to control your fans however you'd like; I've attached a snip of mine for reference.
 CCore_cooling.png.b3edc0b8c41e1f513fe2cf566118f2c9.png

Hi, yeah I want to go with the bios route for fan control, I have the RGB plugs connected to the commander core though, so you’re telling me I have it wired up in an okay manner? 

4 minutes ago, Kyanite said:

Hi, yeah I want to go with the bios route for fan control, I have the RGB plugs connected to the commander core though, so you’re telling me I have it wired up in an okay manner? 

As long as the splitter is a powered hardware board type, I would think it should be OK.  Personally, I try to avoid cable based splitters since I've seen so many stories of bad things happening with them.  

Out of curiosity, any reason you prefer the bios over iCue, or just personal preference?  Speaking of, Asus dropped an updated version (0803) earlier today.

Just now, Kyanite said:

Mostly choosing BIOS over iCue so I can set it up and forget, don’t  have to worry about it especially if down the road I re-install windows or iCue, idk just seems like people prefer it.

0803 is that a new bios? i just put an Asus bios on a flash drive to be prepared but it was released november 3rd I think

7 minutes ago, Synica1 said:

As long as the splitter is a powered hardware board type, I would think it should be OK.  Personally, I try to avoid cable based splitters since I've seen so many stories of bad things happening with them.  

Out of curiosity, any reason you prefer the bios over iCue, or just personal preference?  Speaking of, Asus dropped an updated version (0803) earlier today.

Mostly choosing BIOS over iCue so I can set it up and jforget, don’t  have to worry about it especially if down the road I re-install windows or iCue, idk just seems like people prefer it.

0803 is that a new bios? i just put an Asus bios on a flash drive to be prepared but it was released november 3rd I think

4 minutes ago, Kyanite said:

Mostly choosing BIOS over iCue so I can set it up and jforget, don’t  have to worry about it especially if down the road I re-install windows or iCue, idk just seems like people prefer it.

Yes, 0803 is the bios version that dropped today (ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI | ROG Strix | Gaming Motherboards|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG USA (asus.com)).

For iCUE, once you have everything set the way you like, make sure to export your profile(s).  That way, if you ever reinstall Windows/iCUE you can just import them and be done, instead of setting everything up all over again.

Just now, Synica1 said:

Yes, 0803 is the bios version that dropped today (ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI | ROG Strix | Gaming Motherboards|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG USA (asus.com)).

For iCUE, once you have everything set the way you like, make sure to export your profile(s).  That way, if you ever reinstall Windows/iCUE you can just import them and be done, instead of setting everything up all over again.

Oh **** yeah lol I have that bios on my usb stick, not sure why I thought it was a November release.

I have good quality braided splitters, I cut the tach pins on all but one cable lead, no crosstalk if thats what you were referring to?

1 extension, 1 to 3 splitter and a Y splitter currently using

Cool thanks for the tip, I guess storing the RGB profiles will be handy; well maybe not because i’m going for a red theme which is a bit basic lol. i’m mostly trying to avoid iCue for performance, its probably stupid to say that because I have no idea what the performance hit is like but if its like 5% on my CPU that seems high to me, maybe you can enlighten me 

19 minutes ago, Kyanite said:

Oh **** yeah lol I have that bios on my usb stick, not sure why I thought it was a November release.

I have good quality braided splitters, I cut the tach pins on all but one cable lead, no crosstalk if thats what you were referring to?

1 extension, 1 to 3 splitter and a Y splitter currently using

Cool thanks for the tip, I guess storing the RGB profiles will be handy; well maybe not because i’m going for a red theme which is a bit basic lol. i’m mostly trying to avoid iCue for performance, its probably stupid to say that because I have no idea what the performance hit is like but if its like 5% on my CPU that seems high to me, maybe you can enlighten me 

The braided cable splitters could be the highest quality out there - but if they aren't powered, that's where problems can come in.  You're probably OK with the two radiator fans on CPU_OPT, since it's got a rated max current of 1A, and the ML140 fan specs show a 0.2A draw.  Depending on what kind of fans you're using for intake plugged into CHA_FAN4, and what the rated draw for them is, you may run into issues.  Remember, that 1A is the MAX current it's spec'd for, not what you want to pull continuously.  I'd keep the total for the fans at 0.7A or lower - probably better to spread them out to a few of the other headers.
     For potential iCUE performance hits, I'd have to defer that question to someone with more knowledge about it.  I remember hearing there was some issues with version 3.X, but I haven't personally noticed any impact and my current version is 4.17.244.  However, I predominately play MMOs and adventure type games like Death Stranding, so I'm not as sensitive to frame rates as a FPS or fast-twitch gamer would be.  

13 minutes ago, Synica1 said:

The braided cable splitters could be the highest quality out there - but if they aren't powered, that's where problems can come in.  You're probably OK with the two radiator fans on CPU_OPT, since it's got a rated max current of 1A, and the ML140 fan specs show a 0.2A draw.  Depending on what kind of fans you're using for intake plugged into CHA_FAN4, and what the rated draw for them is, you may run into issues.  Remember, that 1A is the MAX current it's spec'd for, not what you want to pull continuously.  I'd keep the total for the fans at 0.7A or lower

i have 3 120mm ML RGB Pros connected to a splitter so thats 0.219 A peak *3 = 0.657amps, I know that peak is not sustained, its when the fans first power up so if the max will be 0.6amps for 2 seconds i’m golden haha, I mainly want to play fps shooters like Valorant maybe Fortnite and the likes. never had the chance to have such a beast of a PC until this year Lool.

You’ve been great mate, its been hard waiting for this PC and the only thing I can do is tinker with the damn thing; until I get my last part which is the 12900k!

• Like 1

The wire coming off the AIO is nothing more than a tachometer wire.  It will report the pump speed to the MB, but it's real purpose is to act as a safety feature when connected to CPU fan.  It will give you an immediate BIOS CPU FAN error on boot if it does not send a signal back to the MB.  The roar of the fans a moment later will be the secondary warning.  However, if you are not going to use CUE, then you may want a tach reading.  From the AIO perspective, it won't make any difference and all of the headers work.  For your fan management, it will matter so use what's left over.

Remember on Asus boards OPT is a mirror of CPU fan and cannot be individually controlled.  Since you have three fans to move, CPU/OPT + splitter could be used to manage this, but be aware CPU/OPT have some special hidden properties and they were meant for an air cooler.  You will see fast, instant response action from the fans even when the delay is set to maximum.  That may become a nuisance and serves no purpose on a water system that can absorb large amounts of heat for a longer period of time before there are temperature consequences.  

I have not worked with the Z690 boards, but in general the AIO and W_Pump headers can be turned back into CHA fan headers if not needed for their primary purpose.  You don't need the power from either header for the AIO and it really is just a CHA fan set to 100% by default.  W_Pump may have a higher current limit on high end boards.  You appear to have 5 CHA headers and it is good to see that number back on the board.  The CPU/OPT, AIO, W_Pump. + 2-3 CHA headers was getting tiresome.  You can run a 10K thermistor to the exhaust side of the radiator to mimic coolant temp and serve as a steady control variable.  That makes for quieter and more efficient control than CPU temp, but the radiator fans will need to be on a CHA fan header.  CPU/OPT will be CPU temp only.  '

You should have no issue with 3 ML120 on a three way spliter when on the motherboard.  Do not use 3 way splitters with Corsair controllers.  It's a control problem, regardless of current peaks.  

9 hours ago, c-attack said:

Remember on Asus boards OPT is a mirror of CPU fan and cannot be individually controlled.

Okay so if want less of an annoying fan ramp up and down for my rad fans, should I plug my 120mm exhaust into CPU_OPT? and then I can plug my radiator fans to CHA_FAN 5, worth noting this header is the only one that works currently without a CPU installed haha, I know all the fans spin, just briefly on power up