Corsair Community

problem with CMX512-3200LLPT

A few weeks ago, I noticed that my windows system was getting quite unstable expecially after I applied some Windows Update after SP2. Once in a while I would suddenly get the blue screen of death.

I am running the following system:

WinXP SP2 Professional

ASUS P4C800 Deluxe with 1009 bios (newest)

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Pentium 4 3GHz Socket 478 CPU

Antec 550W True Power PSU

2 X 512 MB Corsair Platinum TwinX CMX512-3200LLPT in dual DDR configuration.

No component is overclocked. The bios was set to automatically use the RAMs SPD which it detected as 2.5-3-2-6 even though the specifications for this RAM is 2-3-2-6. But when manually set it in the bios to run it at 2-3-2-6 the system hangs more often.

At first I suspected that the crasings were due to the RAM, but when the Bios tested it, no problems were found. Then I heard about memtest86 from another forum, and tested it using Memtest86 3.20 and it failed continuously at Test #3 in dual configuration. I got the message that it failed at address 0002d394a9c Channel 1.

So I took out one slot to test it in single channel mode and one passed all tests (5 loops). The 2nd one failed at test #3 again, but only once in 4 loops. So it is not consistent. I am now running WinXP with 512MB and 1 slot single channel mode. I would like to get the 2nd piece of RAM replaced. The retailer that I bought the RAM from will not help me as I bought the RAM in June 2003 and it is more than 1 year already.

Further info:

I have tested the 1st strip of memory again using CAS 2-3-2-6, and it there were no errors in 16 passes. Using CAS 2-3-2-6, the 2nd strip had 4 errors out of 7 passes (see attachment). If I use the both strips at the same time, i.e. dual channel mode, I get the error 100% of the time.

Rgds,

Peter

error.thumb.gif.4ab6eff41f23ef283903e16d13ab13aa.gif

• Corsair Employee

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts and with this MB you will need to disable legacy USB when running any memory test as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Archived