Corsair Community

Thermal paste OR Arctic silver 5 ?????????

I intend on replacing the north bridge fan on my Asus A8n-Sli Deluxe mother board with a ZM-NB47J passive heatsink as has been recommended but was wondering if the supplied thermal paste would be best to use or if I should use Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste since Arctic silver 5 is so highly recommended for CPU's.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance

I intend on replacing the north bridge fan on my Asus A8n-Sli Deluxe mother board with a ZM-NB47J passive heatsink as has been recommended

Recommended by who?

I've seen people replace the Heatsink with a fan but not the other way around.

Just curious is all.

IMO, I'd rather have the fan than go through the trouble of replacing it with a

$6 Heatsink.

Replacing the chipset fan on this board is mentioned a couple of dozen times on the thread didicated to this board over at hardwareanalysis.com. An example link (Liquid Snake):

http://hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/38623/?o=2560

It's also mentioned in other forums. Alot of people are having problems with this fan screaming and stopping due to dust. Some are finding the three screws are loose on the fan or the screws on the fan enclosure are loose or there is no lubrication of the bearing all due to poor asus assembly practices on certain batches of boards caused by the rush to get them to market. Many have success replacing the fan/heatsink combo with aftermarket passive heatsinks as long as they have good airflow and no interference problems with the vid cards. The fan/heatsink combo isn't well engineered, 8000rpm, what a joke. Also, I've yet to find a post by anyone that mentions a heatsink/fan combo that will fit on this board without interference problems, hence the only recourse is the passive heatsinks.

Thanks for the replies, there have been several posts from review sites that say the Zalman passive heatsink actually runs cooler than the active default design Asus had, with the added bonus of a silent solution.

Arctic silver 5 it is then.

Thanks for all your in put, much appreciated.

I'm assembling the 6800 GT card with NV5 silencer tomorrow and will let you know the out come with the heatsink and NV5 silencer together.

Chow for now. :cool:

*Update*

I got the Arctic silencer NV5 this morning, installed it on the 6800GT card and found that 3 of the fins on the Heatsink were in the way of the NV5 cooler, solution, cut the 3 rows of pins off, just so they fit under the NV5, job done, ZM-47J heatsink is now installed with enought room for the arctic silencer NV5 in place, what I'm going to do next is drill a few very small holes in the plastic houseing of the NV5 so that as the fan spins, air will get blown through the holes and aid in cooling the ZM-47J heatsink, rather a bonus as that will more than compensate for the removal of the 3 rows of heatsink fins.

I'll post results once I have actually installed the mother board in the pc, at the mo it is just sitting on the desk waiting to be installed.

I'm going to run bench marks now on my extsting system (3dmark 2005) so I can compare scores between the 2 mother boards, bit of a unfair comparison though as the existing system only has a 5950 Ultra AGP installed, not much competition for a 6800GT though but I'll post the results of temps and scores.

Well, the first attempt failed misserably, I swaped the MB's around and did a repair install, rebooted and got the infamous BSOD, from there things just seemed to get worse. I dont know what to point at as the fault because of the several changes I have made, my first suspect is the new 600Watt PSU I have put in, several reviews rated the PSU as problematic but I am running the same PSU right now on my restored PC, perhaps the A8N-Sli deluxe requires more power, who knows.

The A8n-sli board firstly refused to boot with 2 corsair 4400 modules, only with one, then when I got the pc to boot, the bios was reporting the cpu to be 5500MHz, yeah right, the system would reboot but I'd get no screen, clearing the bios fixed the problem occasionally but several times I just ended with a black screen.

In my old system (the one I'm using now, the pc would not boot off the corsair 4400 modules, i have had to resort back to one corsair 3500 module, I'm going to try shut down the pc in a minute and put the 4400 modules (2) in and see if the pc will boot, I got to restore this hdd back onto the one that I was going to use for the new system so I can restart again with the repair install and hopfully get somewhere this time, 'll keep you posted and put some pics so you can see the mods.

Chow for now, hopefully next time I post will be with the new system actually working.

Archived