Corsair Community

New Power Supply AX1600i is not working

Edgargr

The self-test of the PSU passed, but once it is connected to a motherboard, it shuts off after 1 second, and the red solid led light turns on.

Unfortunately, it seems like one of the cables (standard kit - brand new), either for the CPU (2 cables) or the ones to the motherboard, so some of them are faulty because it does not turn on (I already tested the Computer with another PSU, and it works fine).

I did check them several times, and only the essential cables are connected to reduce the scope. But the behavior seen is like when the CPU is not receiving enough energy or the CPU cooler is not receiving power, and the motherboard does not allow for the PC to continue to be on for more than 1.5 seconds.

And the PC components are OK because I have a 650w PSU that I was using, and I did reconnect it again to make sure the issue was not any of my components, but all is working fine with the 650w PSU.

Like the guy from this post, I do suspect the cables, either the CPU ones or the motherboard cable (since these cables come with a capacitor(s)), could be potentially faulty:
https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/153566-new-ax1600i-doa/#comment-906553

I did order a new kit of Corsair cables (SKU CP-8920223) just to rule that issue from above or any other issue with the cables. But I will be able to test it as soon they arrive between today and tomorrow.

Also checked the MB and CPU cable connectors to discard this issue (the connectors are OK):
https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/153819-new-rm850-gt-computer-not-starting-up/

Here is a Google Drive folder with all the pictures and videos showing the behavior:
https://bit.ly/3IfLVZR
-----

Summary:
-Is not due to the motherboard.
-Is not due to the GPU.
-Is not due to the CMOS battery in the motherboard.
-Is not due to the CPU or its AIO.
-Is not due to the RAM.

I will test it with a new set of cables soon.

If any of you have any additional suggestions other than testing the PSU with a new set of cables, please let me know.

Thank you,

For the sake of documentation. I did receive the new cables (SKU CP-8920223) and it did work flawlessly. Then I did proceed with the "troubleshoot process", it in order to find out the culprit (cause); it ended up being the standard ATX (24PIN) (20+4) cable, the one defective (SKU CP-8920140).

Also for the AX1600i make sure to use the DRIVER/SOFTWARE: CORSAIR iCUE v3.38.61 (For Legacy Devices)

Best,

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

@jastech

Bad cable, I suppose; Corsair did not replace ATX (24PIN) (20+4) cable. I did buy another one (SKU CP-8920140) just for "spare parts."

And I do hope this post is beneficial for others that find themselves in similar circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...

This maybe happened to me. I RMA'd the CPU and MB because a PSU swap didnt help but I didn't try changing out the default PSU cables that came with my 1600i. I should give them a test to be certain but if you have any tips on how to properly test that cable, please advise. 

On 11/30/2021 at 12:55 PM, Edgargr said:

For the sake of documentation. I did receive the new cables (SKU CP-8920223) and it did work flawlessly. Then I did proceed with the "troubleshoot process", it in order to find out the culprit (cause); it ended up being the standard ATX (24PIN) (20+4) cable, the one defective (SKU CP-8920140).

Also for the AX1600i make sure to use the DRIVER/SOFTWARE: CORSAIR iCUE v3.38.61 (For Legacy Devices)

Best,

Oh and why did you say to use the older iCUE? iCUE 4 when I tried a while back worked fine and the only Corsair product I own is the PSU. I did uninstall though because I am on AMD CPU and it seems to not like when the PSU USB is plugged in at all.