Corsair Community

XMP I or II no go

My new system ASUS Z690 TUF Gaming Wifi D4 runing latest firmware with an i5 12600K under a Noctua U12S black and 64gm of Corsair timed 2133 advertised as up to 3200 cant work with XMP I or II.
While ASUS auto is good for my needs as long as I use XMP I or II I have problems booting up.
Any help on that?
Thank you all.

I suspect your issue here is going to be tweaking the required SA and IO voltages required to run 4x16GB@3200 MHz.  That is not part of the XMP profile data set although the board will set some automatic values at specific frequencies. Unfortunately Asus boards tend to set this at really elevated levels and it’s not something you want to ignore. 

The tricky bit is the required SA and IO voltage is dependent on both the RAM, the frequency and capacity, the MB physical properties, and then the CPU’s internal memory controller as well. I have not seen much of anything about what new Z690 boards running DDR4 require. The first step should be see what the board applies at 3200. 

The XMP I preset is just primary timings and DRAM voltage. XMP II has a couple of secondary timings. The next logical step is to manually enter the primary timings and voltage from the 3200 XMP specifications and see if that makes a difference. The board will fill in the required settings. All Z490/590/690 boards should be able to run 3200 MHz. 

What motherboard Bios revision are you on?  My board came with 0602 and was ok.  I updated to 0702 to try and fix a issue with my 3090 not going into bios but this broke all XMP profiles from working with my memory.  I later updated to 0802 - Still not addressed my video card and bios issue but has not fixed the XMP profile issues. 

You can find them in the ROG Asus forums under z690 sub forum. 

Latest 

I suspect that this has to do with either the not mature bios of the Z690 TUF Gaming WiFi D4 or the unable to cool more the i5, Noctua U12S.

When I raise the frequency from the 2133 and up the temperature raises. As much as the render times in Avid. More frequency less time. Even at the 2133 the render times are more than enough. At the 2800 which is the maximum I can get the temperatures go up to 94 Celsius so I can't risk that. 

I use the ring for editing not for gaming.

OH You know what you need to enable XMP and set the DDR Memory voltage to 1.25v   Instead of 1.1v or auto. 

I'll try this. Thank you.

When I set XMP I or II the voltage goes to 1.35 automatic.

This is what the memory is up to.

All of those years I had my old ring with i7 2600K ocd to 4.4 with manual settings (not timings) using 32g of Corsair on an Asus Z68 without problems.

I haven't used XMP.

Setting everything to Auto (by Asus) the system goes fine as long as I don't raise the frequency more than 2700 2800.

As I said using 2800 raises a lot the temperature.

5 hours ago, angeludis said:

At the 2800 which is the maximum I can get the temperatures go up to 94 Celsius so I can't risk that. 

Is that CPU temp?  You should not see a marked difference between 2133 and 2800 on the IMC to cause any kind of measurable CPU temp change. Asus boards use XMP mode like a separate tuning preset (vs manual). I suspect it is changing more than just RAM frequency and timings. If you have been using manual, you may need to tweak some settings or try the specific XMP mode in the Advanced BIOS -> AI tweaker/tuning column. 

Is that 1.35v the VDIMM voltage?  Or VCCSA and VCCIO?  1.35v is likely the XMP DRAM voltage for 3200 and absolutely fine. It may be a bit heavy for IO/SA. 

Thank you

2800 is the best frequency as far as now

From 2133 to 2800 I can't see any major difference in CPU temps but there is a 5-9% in render times

XMP doesn't work so far 

Edited by angeludis

Changing slots from A1B1 to A2B2 made a difference.
It works flawlessly!

XMP II just fine 

What if I add another 2 sticks later?

Should it work ok then?

who knows

Edited by angeludis

24 minutes ago, angeludis said:

Changing slots from A1B1 to A2B2 made a difference.
It works flawlessly!

XMP II just fine 

What if I add another 2 sticks later?

Should it work ok then?

who knows

The Asus manual kind of sucked this time, other companies usually specify the slots to use if using 1, 2, or 4 sticks. In the manual I downloaded for your board on page 1-5 it shows a picture of Recommended Memory Configurations, if using 1 stick use A2, if 2 sticks use A2B2, and if 4 sticks you fill them all up. This explains why it worked better in A2B2, with Gigabyte boards they tell you to use A2B2 for 2 stick or expect to have to potentially downclock or experience stability issues. It also gives more room for air coolers to not hit the first stick.

On a bunch of boards I was looking at for Z690 they don't seem to recommend 4 sticks at this time probably due to immature BIOS and chipset, my board as an example says if I put 4 sticks in of DDR5 (4800, 5200, etc) it will cause them to run at 3600 or 3200 or something like that. I would bet in 3 - 6 months that will change and it will be able to run rated speeds on some kits with 4 with bios updates.

Edited by Terry32

21 minutes ago, angeludis said:

Changing slots from A1B1 to A2B2 made a difference

A2/B2 is the proper slots for a 2 module kit on nearly all 2 channel/4 slot boards.  So I take it this was not a 4x16 kit but a 2x32GB.  I am not surprised you had difficulty with 32GB modules.  No guarantee adding two more 32GB module will play nice.  You can get away with this on 8GB sticks, but high density 32GB may be another story.  If you really need 128GB, you should take care of that now and return the 2x32 kit. 

I checked the qualified vendor list for ram for that board on the asus site, they only list 4 stick matched sets from Corsair that they will "somewhat guarantee" will run at rated speeds, here is the list they say can run 4 x 32GB, sometimes you can pair 2 separate kits but it gets harder with 32GB modules than say 8GB or 16GB:

RAM QVL.jpg

7 hours ago, c-attack said:

A2/B2 is the proper slots for a 2 module kit on nearly all 2 channel/4 slot boards.  So I take it this was not a 4x16 kit but a 2x32GB.  I am not surprised you had difficulty with 32GB modules.  No guarantee adding two more 32GB module will play nice.  You can get away with this on 8GB sticks, but high density 32GB may be another story.  If you really need 128GB, you should take care of that now and return the 2x32 kit. 

Thank you. Returning the kit and getting what? I will contact the seller anyway just to ask them.

However I hope the Bios will be better.

7 hours ago, Terry32 said:

I checked the qualified vendor list for ram for that board on the asus site, they only list 4 stick matched sets from Corsair that they will "somewhat guarantee" will run at rated speeds, here is the list they say can run 4 x 32GB, sometimes you can pair 2 separate kits but it gets harder with 32GB modules than say 8GB or 16GB:

RAM QVL.jpg

One of those is mine just X2 or X4 in the future. I always trusted Corsair for compatibility. Let's see.

11 hours ago, angeludis said:

Returning the kit and getting what? I will contact the seller anyway just to ask them

If you actually need 128Gb of RAM, then you want to get a matched 4x32 kit now. Adding in two more 32GB modules a year from now could be problematic, both in terms of finding the same product with the same IC, then hoping they all get along. However, not many people actually benefit from 128GB, the cost is large, and at that capacity speeds will be limited. I would not go to 4x32gb unless there is a clear and obvious benefit for your use. 

Edited by c-attack

3 minutes ago, c-attack said:

If you actually need 128Gb of RAM, then you want to get a matched 4x32 kit now. Adding in two more 32GB modules a year from now could be problematic, both in terms of finding the same product with the same IC, then hoping they all get along. However, not many people actually benefit from 128GB, the cost is large, and at that capacity speeds will be limited. I would not go to 4x32gb unless there is a clear and obvious benefit for your use. 

Thank you one more 

Being a director and editor (Avid mainly) I know I need the more RAM I can get