Jump to content
Corsair Community

Spark from switch from RM1000X on turn on.


TheRiwen
 Share

Recommended Posts

When i did turn my pc on today. There was a big spark from the on and off switch.

The power rails looks fine but i dont no if it still safe to use it  ?

It is only a year old and i got a rm850 from my old system i use now.

 

 

 

Edited by TheRiwen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ouch... if you use the power switch of the power supply to turn it off and on daily, you should stop doing it 🙂

they are not made to be used that way. you should only use the power switch of the computer case, and leave the PSU powered on at all times.

otherwise the PSU protection circuit will die in short notice. People doing it often come in the forum with brand new PSUs dying after a year, year and a half, when they are meant to last 10 times more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ah if it's just ocasional it's normal actually.

There's a massive current surge when you switch these on when the caps charge. sometimes you see it, sometimes you only hear the switch making an arcing click. but once it's powered on it's fine.

it's a bit of a matter of luck. same stuff when you plug a phone charger or a laptop adapter. if it makes contact when the mains is close to the top of the sine wave, you get a little pop and a flash.

 

One thing you can try is powering off the computer, switching off the PSU, and unplug the cable, and with the cable unplugged, toggle the switch quickly on and off for a few seconds to clean the contact. it sometimes help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s not normal at all.  It’s showing that the system is lacking any kind of ground protection.  Make sure your outlet has a wired common ground.  This can also be bad grounding in the PSU.  Ask Evga when they first launched the P2 1000x PSU it did not have properly grounded components and had to do a recall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the initial power surge has nothing to do with ground at all. that's what happens when you pass 30 or 40 odd amps for a few miliseconds in a 16A rated switch.

Still good to make sure the wall socket is well grounded, but it's not related.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have not had a spark from any pc build except when intentionally triggered (when I slid it from 240 to 110v) Any spark is the sign of bad switch or something is wrong internally.  Warn rocker switches like house hold light switches should be replaced when you start to see current arcs.  I have a 3090, and a 12900K which has a load of over 600 watts alone.  Yet I do not see a spark when turned on.   It is not normal or desired to have sparks from rocker switches. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

it's only when you flip the switch which may happen 2 or 3 times a year. when it's on, there's no sparks. Well if you see some by all means get it changed under warranty!

those sparks are just a consequence of how switch mode power supplies work. as soon as you flick it, you charge the primary side capacitor(s) from empty, and the massive surge flashes the contact sometimes.

That's why i suggested to remove the power cable and flick it several times to clean the pitting on the contacts.

All the PSUs i ever owned do that, but the effect also varies depending on where you live. it can be a bit scary on 120V while on 240 it usually only makes a little pop.. sometimes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...