Corsair Community

Wiring 9 LL120 Fans and H150i Elite Capellix

billytsak

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and not sure if this is the right place. I couldn't find a more appropriate Topic to post this under, as most of them were grayed out. I am building a new rig from scratch, the components are as follows:

• Case: Corsair 7000D Airflow
  • AIO Cooler: Corsair H150i Elite Capellix White (1 Commander Core)
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
  • GPU: Asus ROG Strix 3080 White
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Royal 32GB DDR4-3600MHz
  • PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-1000 80+ Titanium
  • Case Fans: 9 Corsair LL120 RGB (3 Lighting Node Pro)

With that said, I am trying to figure out the proper way to wire the 9 case fans (LL120 RGB) and 3 AIO fans (ML120 RGB). I have poured through the Corsair forums, looked at many diagrams, and watched many videos. It is a bit overwhelming, but I have a general idea of what's going on. I was hoping to get some clarification and guidance on this endeavor. From what I understand, the Commander Core and 3 Lighting Node Pros included with my Corsair fans do not provide enough connections to power the fans and control their RGB through iCUE. Therefore, I am under the impression that I would need, in total, 1 Commander Core, 1 Commander Pro, and 1 RGB Fan LED Hub. This would allow me to power 6 fans through the Commander Core, 6 fans through the Commander Pro, as well as light 6 fans through the Commander Core, and 6 fans through the RGB Hub. However, it seems that mixing the 3 ML120 RGB fans and 3 LL120 RGB fans on the Commander Core will not allow for "bouncing" lighting effects - only static effects. I have read a couple of posts indicating that a firmware update to the Commander Core, earlier this year, fixed this mix-and-match issue - I cannot find an official confirmation that this indeed happened/works now.

My 2 questions are:

• Is 1 Commander Core, 1 Commander Pro, and 1 RGB Fan LED Hub enough to properly power and light a total of 12 fans?
  • Will the ML120 RGB fans and LL120 RGB fans cooperate if plugged into the same Commander Core, thus allowing the more complex lighting patterns?

I apologize if this is a bit scattered. This is my first time using Corsair's lighting hardware, and it is somewhat confusing. At the end of the day, I just want my lighting to work as intended, and not burn out any hubs/channels by overloading them with PWM splitters (which was my original plan - 1 Commander Pro, 2 RGB Hubs, 12 fans). I appreciate any and all guidance, and thank you in advance.

Side note: I am looking at this particular diagram from Zotty, which lays out the configuration for 10 RGB fans. It looks perfect, and has 2 channels left on the Commander Pro and RGB Hub to bring me up to the 12 fans I am planning on using. However, if the ML120s and LL120s don't cooperate on the same Commander Core, then it won't work.

https://imgur.com/4FwtdFi

When you combine different fan LED counts on a Commander Core (LL=16, ML-Elite OEM=8) CUE will take the highest LED count to use as the base. It fully works, you have control over each LED, but the timing may appear fast/slow in certain sections as 16 LED timing is used for 8 LED fans. This is really only an issue with sequential lighting effects like pong or the other unique LL/QL effects. And that is point #2… there is no outer LED ring on the ML/SP series. A center hub led is never going to look like a ring fan, so placement and purpose are central to whether this is a good idea or not. 

I am trying to figure out the 12 fan locations. There are an obvious 9 locations and rear exhaust, but the 12 makes me think you intend to do push/pull on the radiator with an LL/ML stack. In that circumstance where the ML is buried up top and doesn’t do much more than cast faint light through the top radiator, combining them on the Com Core isn’t an issue because sequential effects are not relevant. You can divide fans into separate lighting groups within a controller and the exposed LL can do what the others are doing while the buried ML can do their own thing. However, be aware there is no easy way to make your LL run sequential patterns from 1-9 across two controllers. It’s possible using a custom wave but takes some experimentation. You cannot use a sequential preset across 2 controllers. That means one of your first choices is which 6 LL do want on the same circuit. Front + Top?  Front + Side?

The PWM control is much easier. I don’t think you need 2 Commanders for this. You are better off with Commander Core + 1 PWM hub. This is especially true if you are doing push/pull on the radiator. There is no need for independent fan control and the whole group can run the same speed. If you want the extra it will work, but you’ll already have plenty of RGB controllers so the only possible gain is independent fan control for some other purpose. A PWM repeater is less than $20. The Com Pro/XT will be more. If you use 2 Commander Core/XT, then there will be no Lighting Node Core controllers. If you use the PWM hub, then you need 1 LN Core to handle 6 LL.