Corsair Community

iCUE Profiles and RAM RGB settings

walterg74

Hi folks, just built a new PC, and among other things I have some Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL RAM.

I downloaded the latest iCUE software, but I'm confused about profiles, and controlling the LED colors of the ram

From what I understand, what I see as software Effects are active when iCUE is running, and hardware when it is not, correct?

When I open the app, I see a default profile and the option to create my own profiles, but I cannot seem to find anything to save whatever config I choose to the selected profile, and they all end up being the same.

In other words, say I choose "Profile 1" from the drop down, I change colour, there I cannot find a "save" button. And if I select now "profile 2", and tweak settings, going back to profile 1 changes nothing, still seeing the same as currently seen...

In other words, it's as if the profile list is just switching between names but the settings are the same for all these profiles. What am I missing?

Something *similar* happens if I try to configure the led colours for each ram stick individually. If I select one and choose its colours, when I switch to the other dimm, it either shares same settings or also changes for all. Like Dimm A red. Ok, then selct DIimm and it has the same color I just selected for #1. And if I change it when going back to stick A same problem..

How does this work?

P.S.: related to this, does ram have more than 1 hardware profile slot , or just the one.  

1 hour ago, walterg74 said:

From what I understand, what I see as software Effects are active when iCUE is running, and hardware when it is not, correct?

Correct.  Software effects are created/edited in the "Lighting Effects" tab.  Hardware lighting in the tab with the same name.  At least if you are using CUE 4.  If you are somehow still on CUE 3, the hardware lighting mechanism is more obscure.  RAM modules only have one "save slot" for lighting and the effects list will be more restricted.  Not all lighting effects are capable of being run without the aid of the software.  

Saving and application of the effect should be automatic.  Sometimes you click errantly and de-select the RAM modules, but in CUE 4 there are very obvious buttons for application to ALL or specific DIMM modules.  It should look like the following.

In other words, say I choose "Profile 1" from the drop down, I change colour, there I cannot find a "save" button. And if I select now "profile 2", and tweak settings, going back to profile 1 changes nothing, still seeing the same as currently seen...

It seems like you are not in the right area of the program.  Lighting effects definitely do not transfer from profile to profile without moving them to the library and doing a classic copy/paste.  This makes me wonder if you are in the HW Lighting or still on CUE 3.

Screenshot (225).png

1 hour ago, c-attack said:

Correct.  Software effects are created/edited in the "Lighting Effects" tab.  Hardware lighting in the tab with the same name.  At least if you are using CUE 4.  If you are somehow still on CUE 3, the hardware lighting mechanism is more obscure.  RAM modules only have one "save slot" for lighting and the effects list will be more restricted.  Not all lighting effects are capable of being run without the aid of the software.  

Saving and application of the effect should be automatic.  Sometimes you click errantly and de-select the RAM modules, but in CUE 4 there are very obvious buttons for application to ALL or specific DIMM modules.  It should look like the following.

It seems like you are not in the right area of the program.  Lighting effects definitely do not transfer from profile to profile without moving them to the library and doing a classic copy/paste.  This makes me wonder if you are in the HW Lighting or still on CUE 3.

Screenshot (225).png

Hi, thanks for replying!

I am definitely on 4, as mentioned downloaded the latest one today.

Good to know there is only 1 hardware slot on RAM, didn't know if that was the case or there were more and I was doing something wrong.

Back to icue software itself, what I mean is this:

When you open the program, in the Home screen, immediately below the menu bar you have a drop down for profiles, with the initial one being "Default" and a yellow icon.

It lets you create more profiles, and I created a few. But without even going too deep into settings, say I created 2, "profile A" and "profile B". I select A, and pick a scene. RAM changes accordingly. As there is no "save" button (that I see), I then pick profile "B", and select another scene.  But this does not seem to be transalated in the fact that those scene choices are saved to each profile. Rather it just stays at whatever scene I selected and switching the different profiles does nothing...   Understand what I mean?

11 hours ago, walterg74 said:

and pick a scene

There we go… Scenes are the new version of instant lighting from CUE 3. This is not part of the profile but a master override of all lighting zones. It’s one effect applied globally and useful if you want a quick change for all devices. Scenes only control lighting and offer fewer options for complex patterns. They are useful if you temporarily want everything rainbow or off (static black). Scenes are used like a toggle switch on/off from the main tab. 

To set up your normal RAM lighting options, turn the scene off, then click on your profile A, B, C, etc. Click on the ' down arrow' to the right of the profile name.  This will drop the scenes out and reveal your actual profiles.  Click on a profile then click on the device picture in the center window. 

Screenshot (226).jpg

Screenshot (227).png

Edited by c-attack
Added more relevant screen shot

16 hours ago, c-attack said:

There we go… Scenes are the new version of instant lighting from CUE 3. This is not part of the profile but a master override of all lighting zones. It’s one effect applied globally and useful if you want a quick change for all devices. Scenes only control lighting and offer fewer options for complex patterns. They are useful if you temporarily want everything rainbow or off (static black). Scenes are used like a toggle switch on/off from the main tab. 

To set up your normal RAM lighting options, turn the scene off, then click on your profile A, B, C, etc. Click on the ' down arrow' to the right of the profile name.  This will drop the scenes out and reveal your actual profiles.  Click on a profile then click on the device picture in the center window. 

Thanks, that did it, and now I can configure them correctly (although each individual led zone is a little of a pain :). )

I guess the only thing left is for when I *don't* want iCue running, how to make the RAM turn of on sleep (like ALL other components do 🙂 )

I *don't* want iCue running, how to make the RAM turn of on sleep

RAM HW Lighting set to static-black (0,0,0).  Technically 'no effect' should work as well, but I prefer to set it to static black to remind me that is what I have done vs missing effect or problem with the profile.  

Edited by c-attack

53 minutes ago, c-attack said:

RAM HW Lighting set to static-black (0,0,0).  Technically 'no effect' should work as well, but I prefer to set it to static black to remind me that is what I have done vs missing effect or problem with the profile.  

Thanks saw that. Bummer that I cannot have an effect without iCUE running (Like ALL my other devices), and also have it shut down when computer sleeps (again also like ALL the other devices 🙂 ).  Oh well, at least we can choose something to achieve it.

Thanks!

The RAM has a unique obstacle with sleep. The current OS state is loaded into the RAM and it must be powered during the sleep state to maintain it. All the other components can be turned off in sleep mode to go dark, but not the RAM.