Corsair Community

Windows 10 won't boot with MP400 installed

I have an Alienware 17 R3.  I recently reinstalled Windows 10 and installed all OS updates.  I also bought two MP400 (4TB) drives as extra storage.  However, when these extra M.2 drives are installed, my laptop will not boot. 

I get a message stating "Performing Automatic Repair", then the laptop reboots itself after 10 seconds or so.  This cycle will repeat again and again...  I also updated the firmware on my laptop to v1.13.1, which is the latest available, but the problem persists.

I connected both drives to an external M.2 drive bay and both drives work correctly.  I was able to format them and create an NTFS filesystem with no problems at all.

Has anyone seen this problem before?  Any ideas?

Most of the time this is the BIOS trying to boot from the wrong drive. It shouldn’t care if you have an external drive(s) connected or not unless they somehow ended up with a portion of the boot record. The problem is these Dell/Alienware machines tend to have a custom BIOS and custom motherboard so most of us will have no idea where the setting will be. On my Asus boards it’s a very obvious “Boot” column. Hopefully just as obvious on your end. 

Thank you for such a quick response, C-Attack.  I explored all of my BIOS options to verify the boot drive.  The M.2 SSDs show up properly in the BIOS as well, however my boot options shows 'Windows Boot Manager' instead of the individual disk.  

I also updated the SATA controller firmware thinking it might help, but I'm still getting the 'Preparing Automatic Repair' message with the endless reboot cycle.  

It's frustrating to see that the drives are usable when connected to the USB-C drive bay, but not when internally installed...  :classic_dry:

OK, I think I misunderstood.  Everything is OK when on the external dock.  Not OK when attempting to use them in their internal slots on the laptop.  I would contact Dell Support as well.  Their gear often has some unique parameters.  There is no reason one of those can't be the boot drive.  Windows Boot Manager display is correct, although on my Asus boards it also displays the drive path letter and/or driver name to let you know you are in the right spot.  I wonder if that is a related issue.  There used to be issues when installing the OS directly to a M.2 drive.  You needed to disconnect all other drives and leave only the intended boot drive connected.  The OS/BIOS always wanted to put it onto a standard HDD or SSD.  Not sure if this is related to your situation or not, but worth a try.