Corsair Community

Corsair HX1000 starting to fail

Eribaeri

I have used my Corsair HX1000 for 14 months now. 

3 months ago i noticed some odd coil-whine, more like a crackling, so really low frequency, not the high-pitched whiny sound of a GPU. 

I learned to live with it until i swapped my Ryzen 7 5800X out for the Ryzen 9 5950X. 

Whenever i went into a game, the PC would just shut down. 
I made sure that my system was stable but again and again the pc would crash under high load. 

Today i tested only the GPU (RTX3080 @420W) and only the CPU (5950X @190W).

In OCCT i noticed up to 10% voltage drop over almost every rail. 
I know about VDROPs up to 4% with LLC on CPUs but every voltage across the mainboard?

When testing everything together again - woosh, pc turns off. Close to the limit - around 500W there is another odd whine. That odd whine is higher pitched, when solo-testing the GPU @stock settings, no whine at all.

Do have to send my PSU back? Is it dieing?
GPU is connected with two 2x8-Pin cables, with PCI-slot that would be over 500W, CPU has its own 8-Pin and the 24 Pin connector. 

Kind regards, 
ErikVDROP.thumb.PNG.2cd775a4046f77f2ff378cb647547de5.PNG

Is it set to single 12v line or multiple? 

image.thumb.png.7fd7d40a4b501685a877fa18a2cb0de9.png

Good question, right now it is at multiple. 3.3V is at 2.9V meanwhile, an RMX 1000 PSU is able to do 3.14V at the same load.

Are you using cable extensions?

If you are, remove them and have a look at Vdrop. Most likely it should be gone.

If you use only the cables supplied with the PSU, then i don't know.

i do use extensions yes, but they re made by Cablemod, so they should at least be decent. 
Also, the RMX-PSU fixes stability issues under full load.

good extensions will limit losses a bit, but still introduce them. it's not rare to lose 0.2 - 0.3V under load if they are of good quality still.

Also, remember the PSU measures the voltage at the 24 pin connector of its main cable, not at the motherboard when you use extensions. So it will not compensate for Vdrop through the extension at all.

That's why i asked if you used them. The PSU will internally compensate for voltage drop to the end of the cable. At this point you may have your 3.3V, 5 and 12V spot on, but at the motherboard end, the contact resistance of the extension is not compensated and you get Vdrop.

It would be good to redo the OCCT test without extensions, and see if the drop is still present.

3.14V with the RMX is still very low. the ATX spec is 3.135 - 3.465 (+-5%)

It works but it's still not ideal.