Corsair Community

Commander PRO or commander core XT ?

Hi, I just ordered the 4000X RGB case, and I found out that I won't be able to control the fan's speed.
I saw on the Internet that I had to buy a fan hub and a Commander pro to control the fan's speed, but what about the commander core XT ?
Can I just buy the commander core XT, without a fan hub, to control the RGB and the fan's speed ? (I will have 5 fans 3 prebuilt + 2 of the same)

Thanks, and sorry for the broken english, I'm trying to get an answer as fast as possible so I can order what I need for this weekend.

Commander Core and Commander Core XT have the RGB hub on the inside, but can therefore only do 6 fans.  PWM (only) control for 6 fans is on the other side.  People who have an Elite cooler have a regular Commander Core.  If you are buying, get the XT.  

The Commander Pro can do DC or PWM control for 6 (independently set per header), but 5v load for fans is offloaded to the RGB hub.  That allows up to 12 fans and those ports also can be used for strips, water block RGB, or some other 3rd party RGB gear.

For most people the Core XT is going to be enough.  Those with custom cooling loops or a lot of prior Corsair gear may prefer the Commander's flexibility and the extra 2 temp probe ports (4 vs 2 on the XT).

Note that the Core XT also has a single 3-pin RGB channel that can also be used for a fan hub or strips or whatever ... compared to the two on the Commander Pro. The Capellix Commander Core doesn't have this additional 3-pin channel.

28 minutes ago, photonique said:

I can't control the fans speed of the 2 SP-120 RGB PRO. Is that normal ?

Yes, because the SP-Pro are a DC motor fan and the Commander Core (and XT) controllers are PWM only.  Any 3 pin DC fan will stuck with 12v and max speed at all times.  

Hi,

I have a 1000d case, with 18x HD 120 fans, aircooled

I have 3x CoPros (2x bought, the other came with the case) and 3x RGB Fan LED Hub

Can the Commander Core XT potentially in the future, replace both the CoPros and the RGB Fan LED Hubs, since RGB Fan LED Hubs are already discontinued.

Can the Commander Core XT be daisy chained like the CoPros?

The Commander Pros don't really daisy chain.  The USB passthroughs are passive and all lead back to the MB, not true device to device communication.  For a lot of users that makes it inferior to a powered USB hub and a non-starter for AMD board owners who can's use USB splitters at all.  

In theory the Commander XT can replace all the RGB hubs.  However, I am not sure if that is helpful or not in a 1000D with that number of fans.  You would need three to cover the 18 fans.  You drop 2 temp probes per device (probably not a loss for most users).  But this is $200 of shifting jobs with no real benefit.  There isn't a gain here, so you only start doing this if there is a problem with a device.  I would think there is a better way to do this with a Commander Pro + PWM fan hub/repeaters + cheap LN Pros for extra lighting channels for water cooling and third party devices.  You might see what the other 1000D owners say here (https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/144490-corsair-obsidian-1000d-build-loghow-to-guide/page/27/#comment-996187)

5 minutes ago, c-attack said:

The Commander Pros don't really daisy chain.  The USB passthroughs are passive and all lead back to the MB, not true device to device communication.  For a lot of users that makes it inferior to a powered USB hub and a non-starter for AMD board owners who can's use USB splitters at all.  

In theory the Commander XT can replace all the RGB hubs.  However, I am not sure if that is helpful or not in a 1000D with that number of fans.  You would need three to cover the 18 fans.  You drop 2 temp probes per device (probably not a loss for most users).  But this is $200 of shifting jobs with no real benefit.  There isn't a gain here, so you only start doing this if there is a problem with a device.  I would think there is a better way to do this with a Commander Pro + PWM fan hub/repeaters + cheap LN Pros for extra lighting channels for water cooling and third party devices.  You might see what the other 1000D owners say here (https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/144490-corsair-obsidian-1000d-build-loghow-to-guide/page/27/#comment-996187)

I'm not planning to replace my existing setup, now since they are all still working perfectly.
I only asked since I noticed, the RGB Fan LED hubs have been discontinued.

Ideally I would love for Corsair to have a single device CoPro + RGB LED Fan Hub + everything else in one device with 20 ports. I still have pain-in-the-A flashbacks wiring all those 18 fans on 3x CoPros and Fan hubs 😄