Neo 4 Platinum (non-sli)

Chaintech nvidia 6600 pci-x

1GB Corsair PC3200XL (2x512)

SB Live 5.1

Sony 16x Dual Layer DVD-RW

Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM

2 - Seagate 7200 SATA 80GB RAID-0

1 - Maxtor 7200 SATA 200GB

Computer originally had a neo2 board with a 6600gt agp card and XXXXXXX RAM. Computer had random blue screens, and applications would crash to windows. I tested the XXXXXXX and everything was 100% successful with no errors. I replaced the video card and the sound card, tried all drivers (one sent with the hardware, upgraded ones via the web and beta drivers) none of that made a difference.

I bought the mobo at a local computer store and they determined that it was the mobo. They didn't have a neo2, so I got a neo4 for a straight swap, and got the 6600pci-x vid card in exchange for my 6600gt agp card.

After the mobo was replaced, everything ran well (not as many BSODs, but still getting applications crashing to windows). 2 weeks ago, I was getting more blue screens (nothing had changed, just started to happen) where I decided that I'd give it one last go and blow out XP (for what was probably the 6th or 7th time -- no exaggeration). Everything seemed to work well, and here I'm back with an occasional BSOD, and application's crashing like mad!

I ran memtest with the XXXXXXX had no errors, but was still told that it could be bad, so I upgraded to the Corsair.

Last night I started memtest ~10:45 at Round 5 it had found 5017 errors. I wasn't sure how long it was going to run, so I let it run over night.

Wall Time: 7:51:18

Cached: 1024

RSVD Mem 257M

Memmap: e820-std

cache: on

Ecc: off

Test: std

Pass: 25

Errors 32,307

Ecc:

Errs: 0

So from what I've found in this forum, is that you don't want any errors, right?

I'm assuming that I can get an RMA number? I'd be more than willing to try any suggestions. I have bumped the RAM voltage to 2.8 (even though my BIOS says it is too high) and I have played with the timing of the RAM, nothing has helped. The MOBO has the latest version of the BIOS. All hardware has the most recent drivers, and patches. I'm running Windows XP SP2. I've tried (in all my many attempts to reinstall XP) SP, SP1 and SP2.

I've tried the RAM in 1&2, 3&4, 1&3, 2&4, computer won't POST in the last 2 configs, works the same in either of the first two configs. I've loaded 'safe' settings in the BIOS and I've loaded 'optimized' settings in the BIOS, neither make a difference.

I'm probably forgetting something, but I'm pretty sure I've tried it all. Any and all help to get this resolved would be greatly appreciated. This computer has given me a lot of stress, that I hope will go away once this computer is finally fixed. I've built 4 (personal) other computers, and many others for work, none have given me as many problems as this.

BTW, if I am issued an RMA number, what would be the possibility of getting replacement RAM before I send mine off? I need this computer for work, and can't really afford the down time.

Thanks again!

• Corsair Employees

Can you tell me the make and model of PSU you have? And please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org. If you do find one failing then lets get them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Can you tell me the make and model of PSU you have? And please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org. If you do find one failing then lets get them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

PSU is an Antec NeoPower 480W. When I get home, I'll reset voltage and test one at a time. I don't have another box that I could test this RAM in, that's the only problem.

BTW, I have tried 2 different 480W PSU's. The antec and some generic piece at the local computer shop. Computer registers similar voltage levels with either psu.

And isn't the RAM a matched set? Wouldn't you want to test with both sticks because that's how you'll be using them?

• Corsair Employees
You should test the modules one at a time this will help isolate if its just a failing module or some other problem. All of our XMS modules are tested in a MB before they leave our factory so it would be very unlikely you got 2 failing modules. And testing them one up will help show if it might be some other issue.

Archived