Corsair Community

Commander pro to RGB Hub

Byron T

Hi guys, I’ve just purchased two commander pros and my case came with the pre installed RGB hub. There is no 3 prong RGB cable in either packaging to connect from the LED port on the commander pro into the RGB hub. I can’t find a 3 prong online and nothing happens when I use the provided two prong plugs. What is the solution?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Byron T

Those are the correct cables. It only needs to have data and ground connected; the +5V is not required.

Have you configured the channel in iCUE? You'll need to do that first.

I have yes. Do you want me to send screen shots of that? The first commander pro is connected to all 6 fans and then the LED ports go to:

CPU Water Block

Water pump RGB

The second commander pro has no fans attached. The first LED port goes to the RGB Hub which has 6x RGB cables going to:

5 fans and the corsair PSU cover 

The second LED port is connected to the cases LED (factory) controller which goes to the top of the case to control the lighting (essentially redundant give I use icue).

What happens is:

The front three LED fans work

The CPU and Waterpump work

The top two radiator fans seem to have no ability to integrate with the circuit and are not involved in the colour changing schemes. This is where it falls down and I cant work out why these two fans don't work as they are plugged into the second Commander Pro via the RGB Hub, with the three front fans also and they just don't change. 

8 hours ago, Byron T said:

The top two radiator fans seem to have no ability to integrate with the circuit and are not involved in the colour changing schemes. This is where it falls down and I cant work out why these two fans don't work as they are plugged into the second Commander Pro via the RGB Hub, with the three front fans also and they just don't change. 

Assuming all 5 fans are the same type, and assuming you have correctly set the number of fans in the lighting channel setup on the Commander Pro, and it still isn't working, try removing the PSU cover RGB lead and make sure the 5 fans are plugged into ports 1-5, see if that fixes the fan problem...

Hi Mark,

To clarify, the 5x SP120 RGB fan RGB cables are plugged into the 2nd Commander Pro (called Commander Pro (1) in the images below). The first Commander Pro powers all 5 fans and the water pump via the van connectors + the 2 LED ports for the CPU block RGB and Water Pump XD3 RGB. Then the temperature probe is connected  (which appears to have just stopped functioning and is not displaying any temperature or voltage anymore. This is all for the first Commander Pro. 

The 2nd Commander Pro (which is around the issue I am having) has 1 function - to provide RGB command to the RGB Hub to control it (the alternative would be to use the case control module (which when tested still cannot control the top two radiator fan RGB's from the RGB Hub. The only fans currently being RGB controlled are the front 3 that came with the case. 

Photos attached show the top two RGB SP120 fans which I cannot control still (you can see the lighting is coming on for 1 fan as a default and is not in anyway synced with the front three which display red, yellow and green when in the setup). I'm not sure why this is occurring, because when I plug in the SP Lighting Controller box (that was in the case when it arrived) into the RGB hub (that was in the case when it arrived) it only controls the front 3 fans. Is this likely to be an issue with the RGB hub itself? Let me know if you need further clarity. 

Commander pro lighting setup.jpg

Commander pro water temp failure.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

Edited by Byron T
To clarify ambiguity

Are you sure you have added more "SP-RGB fans" with 4 LEDs and not the 8 LED "SP-Pro"?  Everything you are showing us looks like a mismatch on fan type, either physical or in the CUE settings.  SP-RGB x 5 creates 20 LEDs.  SP-Pro (8 LED fan) x 5 creates 40.  To further complicate things, mixing those old SP-RGB fans with anything else on the same hub is going to cause issues.  

• Like 1

Yup, that's the original SP-RGB and the newer SP-Elite. You absolutely positively cannot mix them on the same hub. They have different control protocols for the LEDs.

Ugh.. now I can see the different vanes for the Elite in the top radiator shot.  As mentioned above, this isn't going to work. Corsair is brutal with these subtle name shifts that do not reveal substantial changes.  There are 3 "SP" RGB fans.  SP-RGB 4 LED (2016), SP-Pro (DC fan 8 LED), and the newest SP-Elite (8 LED PWM).  That does not include the dozens of previous LED and non-LED fans with the SP name.  

You can run two separate RGB controllers, one for the SP-Elite and one for the SP-RGB.  However, the most pleasing solution would be to replace the front 3x120 SP-RGB with more SP-Elite.  The SP-RGB is an old fan and doesn't fit in well with the current set-up configurations.  Your front fans will never look just like the top Elite ones.  It also lets you run everything on one controller.  Also of note, there is the SP-Pro mentioned above.  This is a lighting match that will work with your new Elite, but be aware it is a DC motor fan and that can pose control issues for some.  Most MBs will run that a 60% minimum and that is just a bit too loud for those that like silent.  There isn't a lot of reason to buy it over the Elite unless you get a really good deal.  

Edited by c-attack

Thanks guys! Of course there is haha I now have to work out what is easier. I think maybe an RGB controller seperate, as to replace the three front fans I need to remove the radiator, water pump, drain the coolant, remove the pipes etc. pain in the a*}%

What are the RGB controllers called now? Can’t seem to find any online as “RGB hubs” and I’ll plan to connect it to my spare port on the 2nd LED port on the 2nd commander pro.

Regarding the temperature sensor ceasing to work, I’ve contacted Corsair regarding a replacement, but if I have to replace it I’m going to need to drain the system anyway. Any idea why it would have stopped working?

Ya know, I'd actually suggest that you swap out those SP "Classic" (ahem) fans with some nice new SP Elites. Better RGB and PWM fan control.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Byron T said:

Thanks guys! Of course there is haha I now have to work out what is easier. I think maybe an RGB controller seperate, as to replace the three front fans I need to remove the radiator, water pump, drain the coolant, remove the pipes etc. pain in the a*}%

What are the RGB controllers called now? Can’t seem to find any online as “RGB hubs” and I’ll plan to connect it to my spare port on the 2nd LED port on the 2nd commander pro.

Regarding the temperature sensor ceasing to work, I’ve contacted Corsair regarding a replacement, but if I have to replace it I’m going to need to drain the system anyway. Any idea why it would have stopped working?

If you google "corsair rgb fan led hub" you'll find it, unfortunately though it just got officially discontinued so make sure to get some while stocks last on various sites

• 3 weeks later...

So anyone following the fix for this:

I bought the SP120 RGB ELITE fan 3 pack with the RGB hub, plugged the two top fans into this hub (seperate from the factory case fans (standard SP120) and problem solved). All displays correctly now. I used one of the fans for rear heat extraction by adding it to the case and one day I'll replace the three fans at the front when I need to change the water etc. too bigger task for me right now. Thanks again for everyone's help in identifying this. I would never have worked it out.