Corsair Community

Question about the HS80 headset and spatial audio

Parmenedes

On the product page for this headset, it's advertised as having "spatial audio".  My understanding of that phrase is that if I turn my head, the sound field moves in such a way that if a sound was coming from behind me, it still sounds like it's coming from that direction when my head turns a la apple airpods.  For example, If I'm watching a movie with spatial audio and my airpod pros in my ears, I hear a train or whatnot and turn my head, and my ears make me think that the train is really over there because of the way the sound shifts as I turn my head (instead of just having a static stereo soundfield).  The first few times I used it it kind of freaked me out because it sounded so cool.  This is also one of the main selling points of dolby atmos, even though a lot of headsets out there throw out that term without really having a 3d sound field - it's all just stereo that stays the same regardless of how your head moves.

So there's a passing mention of spatial audio on the HS80 product page, but nothing in the video or the rest of the product page seems to highlight this, which makes me wonder if Corsair means something different by "spatial audio" than I understand it to mean.  Surround sound on headsets always generally sucks because when it comes down to it, it's really just stereo... except when they do true spatial audio that generates a real 3d sound field around you that morphs as you turn your head.

So my question is, does this headset have the kind of spatial audio that I'm talking about?  Or is it just more of the same "simulated surround sound" with a stereo headset?

Edited by Parmenedes

That is not what it means. Spatial audio pretty much means 3D audio that is around you (Dolby Atmos in case of HS80) but it's always in relation to your head and not in relation to your room etc. As in, if you turn your head, sound turns with you, so you always hear it coming from the same direction (e.g. always from the right side of your head etc.).

10 hours ago, Tinek78 said:

That is not what it means. Spatial audio pretty much means 3D audio that is around you (Dolby Atmos in case of HS80) but it's always in relation to your head and not in relation to your room etc. As in, if you turn your head, sound turns with you, so you always hear it coming from the same direction (e.g. always from the right side of your head etc.).

Thanks, that's just what I wanted to know.  I've been so impressed with what Apple has done with respect to that that I had hoped it might have arrived at pc headsets, but I guess we're not quite there yet.