Corsair Community

Ryzen 5800x with H150i idle temp eventually becomes hot, until restarting

Hello everyone! I noticed something recently on my system that's got me scratching my head. Here are my specs:
Ryzen 5800x, Corsair H150i Elite Capellix AIO (360mm, exhaust), BeQuiet! Dark Base 700 case.

My system usually idles at 46c with occasional spikes to 56c - 58c (which I've read is common and normal for 5000 series, and it's also the same for my 3950x system).
However, sometimes, after my PC has been on for a couple hours, or maybe half a day, I noticed my PC idles at 69 to 71c - noticeably warmer.
But once I restart, it idles back to mid 50s. I checked both Ryzen Master and Corsair's iCue and both readings are about the same (+/- a few degrees).

I'm not sure if this is normal, or if this is anything to be concerned about, or how to fix this. Usually my 3950x build hits 70 - 73 if I'm running full load.
But I'm not quite sure why my 5800x would do that with not a whole lot running. But repeatedly, once I restart, everything is back to normal.

I look forward to hearing your feedback!

Thank you!

UPDATE: NEW FINDINGS!

I checked task manager and noticed Windows Media Player was high power usage. I closed it, and my temperature readings IMMEDIATELY dropped from 74c allllll the way back down to 47c - 50c! (my regular idle temps)

I suspect WMP might be the culprit.

Hmm, let me share my specs:
WMP Version: 12.0.19041.1320
Windows 10 Version: 21H1
OS Build: 19043.1348

It doesn't seem like it is related to CPU or AIO hardware, or iCue software at this point.

When this happens, check your H150i Temp (coolant temperature) in CUE. A cooler problem will reveal itself here with a high idle liquid temp in the 40-60C range. Most people see an idle coolant temp of 4-7C above room temp, but it does vary by case, environment, and hardware. If the H150i temp is about the same as usual, then you know you are looking for a software/cpu usage problem like what’s described above. 

16 hours ago, c-attack said:

When this happens, check your H150i Temp (coolant temperature) in CUE. A cooler problem will reveal itself here with a high idle liquid temp in the 40-60C range. Most people see an idle coolant temp of 4-7C above room temp, but it does vary by case, environment, and hardware. If the H150i temp is about the same as usual, then you know you are looking for a software/cpu usage problem like what’s described above. 

That's awesome! Thanks, c-attack! Those are great tips. My coolant was idling around 39c when i had the issue. At start-up, it idles about 32c, and throughout the day, 34, 36, and right now after a full day of usage, it's idling around 37, I don't think my coolant temp has ever gone above 40.

This is a great suggestion for monitoring the system, components, and temps. I'll keep that in mind! Thanks again!

I can confirm and report today, after using my PC the whole day, and not touching WMP at all, that my temperatures are very normal. And I can conclude it is indeed WMP's fault. Problem solved!

Edited by illusionest2

Ok, that seems like normal behavior for the coolant. It is environmentally dependent so normal increases to the room and case temp add on during the day. If the flow becomes partially restricted or there is a problem with circulation, you will be able to watch the H150i temp creep upward from the moment you power on. 

There is nothing particularly special about 40C except the software is programmed to react aggressively when you reach it. They had to pick a number and that’s about 17C over standard room temp. However, it is impossible to find preset points that work for everyone. Someone with a 16 core Ryzen in a glass box in Summer will see drastically different values than a 6700K in an open frame above the AC. For your baseline values, I would use a create a custom curve using the (+) then tick the concave tool shape on the bottom. That corresponds to the quiet preset but the control points are visible and moveable.  That will allow you to drop the idle speed fan speed if desired — if you haven’t done this already. 

• Thanks 1

Awesome suggestions, c-attack! Thanks so much for that. I already have a custom curve yes, I'll see if I should make any adjustments as per your tips. It is indeed environmentally dependent. I would guess the case fans, type of case, and airflow design has an impact too.

Thanks again!