Corsair Community

Best way to connect LED Strips far away from PC

Titan777

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to connect 4 LED Strips with Lighting Node Pro to my PC / Commander Pro.

I'm trying to do something like this:

My main issue is that the aquarium will need about 6m length of extensions to reach the PC.

What would be the best way to connect the LED Strips via Node Pro to the Commander Pro?

I wonder why Corsair didn't do a WiFi hub or something to control lighting far from the PC.

the easiest way would be to take an RGB extension (the 3 pin ones you should have received with the CoPro), cut it in the middle and solder your 6m of wire in between. There's 4 wire rgb cable you can find for cheap (just peel one conductor out to make it 3 wire) like these https://www.amazon.fr/Tesfish-Câble-dextension-broches-Bande/dp/B01D3BQVR8/

In practice, any multiconductor cable will do, even ethernet cable if you have some laying around.

Soldering and isolating with heatshrink would be the neatest and the best in my opinion. you can ghetto-connect with some wagos but it's bulky and fragile with wire so thin.

The problem with buying 6m worth of 30cm extensions is that with 5V ARGB, and that many connectors, there's good chances you induce a lot of voltage drop, and the LEDs may be at best dimmer, at worst intermittent or not working at all. So one length of cable from the CoPro to the first strip would be ideal.

19 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

the easiest way would be to take an RGB extension (the 3 pin ones you should have received with the CoPro), cut it in the middle and solder your 6m of wire in between. There's 4 wire rgb cable you can find for cheap (just peel one conductor out to make it 3 wire) like these https://www.amazon.fr/Tesfish-Câble-dextension-broches-Bande/dp/B01D3BQVR8/

In practice, any multiconductor cable will do, even ethernet cable if you have some laying around.

Soldering and isolating with heatshrink would be the neatest and the best in my opinion. you can ghetto-connect with some wagos but it's bulky and fragile with wire so thin.

The problem with buying 6m worth of 30cm extensions is that with 5V ARGB, and that many connectors, there's good chances you induce a lot of voltage drop, and the LEDs may be at best dimmer, at worst intermittent or not working at all. So one length of cable from the CoPro to the first strip would be ideal.

Thanks for your help!

Does it make any difference if I use 22 AWG or something that is not similar to the CoPro extension that I'm cutting?

Maybe I'll just go to an electrician or something to make the 6m cable. I heared I can use a signal booster but not sure what or how that looks.

As a general rule, for anything over about 3' or so, I like to use 22 AWG. While 24 AWG will work without significant dimming up to about 6-8 feet, using 22 AWG (which is the thickest gauge that works with the connectors that Corsair uses) gives you plenty of wiggle room. I've had good result with 22 AWG at up to 20 ft of cable.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 7:40 AM, DevBiker said:

As a general rule, for anything over about 3' or so, I like to use 22 AWG. While 24 AWG will work without significant dimming up to about 6-8 feet, using 22 AWG (which is the thickest gauge that works with the connectors that Corsair uses) gives you plenty of wiggle room. I've had good result with 22 AWG at up to 20 ft of cable.

Do I need to completely take the connector apart or I can just attach the 22 AWG to the existing ends? (when I cut the original extension I mean).

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2021 at 7:40 AM, DevBiker said:

I actually need about 19 feet. Should I go with the 24 AWG? I'm planning on cutting the extension I have and attaching the 22 AWG cable from both ends, making it a 19 feet extension.

Edited by Titan777

17 minutes ago, Titan777 said:

I actually need about 19 feet. Should I go with the 24 AWG? I'm planning on cutting the extension I have and attaching the 22 AWG cable from both ends, making it a 19 feet extension.

You'll get some significant voltage drop with 24AWG. You really will need to use 22 for this length.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DevBiker said:

You'll get some significant voltage drop with 24AWG. You really will need to use 22 for this length.

Thanks man, you saved me 🙂

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2021 at 8:53 PM, DevBiker said:

Hi, I just connected my new LNP to the PC and attached the 22AWG extension and it doesn't work.

It does work when connected to the CoPro. Why is that?
I've connected the LNP with USB to the CoPro and connected the SATA to an existing one being used by an HDD and other components.

Update:

I switched cables and now using the CoPro with the extension and now it works.

The new issue is ICUE not detecting the LNP connected to the CoPro via USB. It worked fine but not not detected but I do have lights.

Update 2:

I disabled a USB device via Device Manager since one was showing an error, I enabled it and it was actually the LNP - so now it's working.

New issue though, lol... Since I switched some devices to the NLP, now the lighting is empty when switching profiles.

How do I copy every profile I have to show in the LNP like every other Corsair device that I have? They all had the lights automatically. Don't know why the LNP is empty in each profile.