Corsair Community

What is the CPU temp actually reading?

skrybe

So I started paying more attention to the temps reported by ICUE after having the problems outlined here:

And I noticed another anomaly, the CPU temp doesn't match up with what AMD's control panel has. So I fired up HWInfo and the temps reported there are different as well. There is a roughly 5 degree C difference between what ICUE and AMD report. AMD is close to HWInfo (close enough it might be down to millisecond differences reading the sensor). But I can't find a good match between ICUE and HWInfo at all. The closest match I can see is the motherboard's CPU package temp, but even that is a degree out (44 -v- 45).

So, what sensor is the ICUE CPU actually reading?

Side note: the motherboard temp readings in ICUE aren't a good matchup against HWInfo either 😞

what_cpu_temp1.jpg

I'd like to know as well. My iCue custom fan curves are based on the coolant temp reading from my 150 Capellix, but I've just ordered a Nexus for monitoring purposes and I'd like to know what "Package" is actually measuring. Where is that number coming from? Seems to be what HWInfo calls "CPU (Tctl/Tdie)", but that's not the average package temp, it's the highest currently reported. I don't see any explanation in the documentation about what this "Package" number in iCue is really.

Anyone know?

It's the AMD "TCTL" (Temp - Control) reading. It's not the actual core temperature but a manufactured value to allow you to use a baseline value for fan curves. The idea is that you can set a specific curve that'll work for any CPU based on that same temperature. OEMs might like it, I guess, but I find it silly and confusing.

On my 3970, the difference is around 10-15C, by the way.

Edited by DevBiker

Thanks for the reply. So the fact none of the temps match is down to what? Slight time differences in reading the sensors? Rounding in apps?