Corsair Community

Can't hit 200fsb

darkknight

I'm looking for any suggestions on what I may have missed. I have had an asus dex rev1,(which I trashed with a screwdriver trying to add a active cooler to the northbridge) A DFI lan party nf2 rev1, (which I rmaed for raid corruption) and a gigabyte nf400pro2 . I have a 1700+ which does 2150 easy on air. I cannot get over 196 stable with any board. I have tried various timmings, bumped both volts, locked the pci/agp ect. :(:

Welcome to the forums, darkknight! What is the rest of your setup? What kind of memory do you have? Are you attempting to run it in dual channel mode? If you have PC3200 memory (that passes memtest: [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] ) then it is most likely your CPU that's reached its limit, not anything else. If you have PC2700 memory, then you need to think about getting faster memory in order to clock it to PC3200. PLUR CK

Sorry I put my info in my sig but I don'd see it in the post. I'm using 3500 xms. dual channel. I can get close to 2.2 ghz by dropping fsb and upping multiplier. When I lower the multiplier and raise the bus I hit a wall at ~196. reguardless of the clock speed. I was hopeing that their might bee a trcik I missed. currently @ 11,3,3,2 . That is more relaxed that the memmory is certified for. I'm running at 100% fsb. Just ran memetest on this board. I get errors on test 5 the closer I get to 200. I tested each stick by it's self woth no errors. Both sticks are individualy stable 200fsb in 3d mark 03 and mem test. I guess it's the dual channel thing thats the problem.:question:

Yea, that was my original thought, But this is the third board and second cpu all with the same barrier. These are not dual channel certified sticks. I bought them about a year go before those came out. I guess there is really something to that dual channel certification. :sigh!: I damaged my Asus dlx adding a fan thinking my northbridge was geting too hot.:mad: If it was the board or cpu I would have problems in single channel mode too right?

• Corsair Employees
I have not seen too many CPU's bellow 2500+ that would run at 200 MHz +. I would if possible try testing the modules on another MB and CPU if possible. But all of our modules are tested at the rated speed before they leave our factory so its possible that you have a bad module but if that were the case you would see the system fail with both no matter what the speed but one would run at above this Freq. Ram Guy

Each stick alone will run 200fsb with this cpu stable. I only have problems with both installed. Thats why I am assuming it's the dual channel thing. I looped mem test on each with fsb @200. As soon as add the second stick I get errors in test 5. I was hoping there was magic setting I missed. Each stick seems good-they just don't play well together.

:p: My old computer had a 1800+:D: One of the main reasons that I had to upgrade was that I couldn't hit the High FSB that the new boards are getting, and you are running the 1700+ @ 200MHz....I think that might be crazy. Now I am new to the overclocking thing and I am learning, but I started to learn on that the 1800+, and I learned that I needed that :eyebuldge Barton 2500+ :eyebuldge So I think I learned something.... Now I got: MSI K792 Delta Mobo Athlon XP 2500+ @ 166*12.5 ~ 2.09 GHz 2x256 Corsair 256A XMS3200C2 PNY GeForce FX 5200 128MB Video card Western Digital 80GB :bling: :bling: :bling: So my suggestion would be the same as the other guy is to test these sticks on another Mobo...Because Corsair sometimes makes mistakes but it is rare (AT LEAST FROM MY KNOWLEDGE) So I think the ram might be doing its job, but maybe its the prossesor that is now overworking. :brick: :bomb:

• 2 weeks later...
The problem certainly is not the proc. then. Any unlocked proc should be able to run a higher fsb if multi is lowered to counteract. I would try a different board (not always easy to find) or different ram modules altogether in the same board (also not easy sometimes). The older boards you were describing, like the A7N rev.1, will not likely do 200 fsb. Mine did not with my 3200LL ram nor with my 2700 ram which I believe could do it on a better board. Those boards could not handle it. I am not experienced with the Abit rev. 1, but would expect the same. The rev. 2 should be fine though. Have you tried running one stick in different dimms. Maybe a dimm is bad. I hope this helps and keep us updated!

Yea Eroc I agree with you on the asus rev1. I really doubted the bios update they used to get 400 fsb support. :rolleyes: ;): The DFI was a nf2400 chipset so 400 fsb should be easy on the board. I have tried single sticks in differnt dimms. Thats when I found more stability And higher fsb. Each stick performs the same by it's self! I guess I just need to get more ram.:[pouts: Hey look Eroc has a 1700+ @210 :nodding:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by darkknight [/i] [B]Hey look Eroc has a 1700+ @210 :nodding: [/B][/QUOTE] Yeah :D Currently, however, I am at 200 but my pc 3500 ram should be arriving today, I can hardly wait, and I plan to go through the roof...looks like i better get active cooling for NB. ;)

• 3 months later...
Update. late. I broke down and bought two sticks of KHX 3200 dual channel 1 gig total. No problem with 210 fsb on these. :cool: I now have two boards at home. The original gigabyte and now a DFI lan party nf2 ultra rev 2.(thats four boards and three procs :D: ) Two procs, The 1700+ and an unlocked barton 2500+. I also have one 512 module of kingston value ram for testing. KVR 333. Long story short. I can't get these 3500's to run over 191 fsb togeather, or over 200 individualy. As I type the value ram is prime past 8 hours @ 205 in a configuration that neither stick of 3500 would even post in. :bigeyes: Is it possible both of these are not up to spec? I bought them when they first came out. :sigh!:

Archived