Corsair Community

Commander Core, Commander Core XT and Commander Pro effectively on the same system running from a single instance of iCUE?

Ca1ibos

Asked in Zotty's RGB Master thread but he nor any of the other iCUE experts replied. Hoping for more visibility here out in the open so to speak. LOL.

I'll try not to create my usual context providing but invariably TLDR inducing wall of text this time.

Main Rig with an Elite Capellix H150i with Elite LCD Upgrade Kit with its Commander Core. Commander Pro also in this rig for the rest of the 10x QL120 fans and strips in this rig. Comprehensive Desk LS100 and RGB Pro Strip setup run off a seperate PSU (On/Off Alexa etc) not unlike Zotty's setup. The Lighting Node Pro's for the Desk strips going back to a USB hub which is plugged into this Rig. All controlled by iCUE on this main rig.

In my Media Server on the other side of the long desk, Can I run 6x QL120's and some strips off of a Commander Core XT.....AND.....the now spare LED Module of the Elite Capellix H150i, have the Commander Core XT Sata Powered by the Media Server PSU, have a Hardware/Default Fan Profile set based off the two XT Temp Probes......BUT......have this Commander Core XT's USB Header cable.....NOT.....plugged into the Media servers Motherboard.....BUT INSTEAD..... be plugged into the main Rigs motherboard Header.

The reason is that I only want the 24/7's Media Servers RGB LED's lit up when the Main rig is switched ON. I don't need iCUE on the Media Server once I've set the fan profiles and Hardware Lighting Profile to OFF. When the Main Rig is switched ON I want the iCUE install on the main rig to control all the RGB in the Media Server Case (as well as its own Fans and Strips and the Desk RGB Strips)

Will the iCUE install on the main rig be able to handle that without crashing or conflicts?

Will it work but only if I don't add the extra complication of the Spare EC H150i RGB LED Module freed up by my Elite LCD purchase. My fear is that iCUE on the main rig detects the main rigs CoCo and its CoPro but because I'll have wired the CoCoXT in the media server back over to the main rig too, the main rig iCUE install will also detect the CoCoXT and its connected EC LED Module. Will the main rig iCUE think I actually have 2 Elite Capellix AIO installs on this main rig and crap out on me?

Help me iCUE Jedi Masters Zotty, C-Attack and Dev-Biker. You're my only hope!! LOL.

That's an interesting use case but absolutely do-able. You'll need to set the hardware lighting to all black but it'll work. The trickier part is going to be handling the USB. Probably the easiest thing to do is to have a powered USB hub that the media center devices are plugged in to and then connect that to the main rig. You'll need to have USB that'll convert from the internal header to the USB-A to connect to the back. They can be found ... I've gotten some.

I've actually had the Commander Core XT, 2 Commander Cores (1 w/the LCD kit and 1 with no pump), and a Commander Pro on my test system all at the same time. So you'll be OK.

14 minutes ago, DevBiker said:

That's an interesting use case but absolutely do-able. You'll need to set the hardware lighting to all black but it'll work. The trickier part is going to be handling the USB. Probably the easiest thing to do is to have a powered USB hub that the media center devices are plugged in to and then connect that to the main rig. You'll need to have USB that'll convert from the internal header to the USB-A to connect to the back. They can be found ... I've gotten some.

I've actually had the Commander Core XT, 2 Commander Cores (1 w/the LCD kit and 1 with no pump), and a Commander Pro on my test system all at the same time. So you'll be OK.

Cool!! So effectively the only thing I talked about that you haven't tested is plugging your spare Elite Capellix LED Module into the second Commander Core that had no pump connected to see what happens!! 

Yeah, I have already bought the required powered USB hub and USB Header to Type A converter cables. IIRC my original plan was to run the Media Server fans PWM's off the motherboard headers and the RGB of the fans into an RGB Hub and a Lighting Node Pro which I already have on hand too. It was the idea to re-use the Spare Capellix LED Module inset into the front of my Media Server case that brought a Commander Core XT for the Media Server into the frame.

My main concern is that when iCUE on the main Rig detects the Elite LCD H150i AIO via the CoCo in the main Rig....BUT ALSO.... detects the LED Module via the CoCoXT in the Media Server, it may think there are two EC H150i's AIO's connected to the system which may cause conflicts or issues.

Edited by Ca1ibos

No, I've not done that ... yet. I can tell  you, however, that the LCD screen does not like to be disconnected from the pump. And you can't connect the Capellix LED module to a Commander Core XT, only a Commander Core.

Arrrghhh. Theres the 'Gotcha' I was kinda expecting.

RIght so. I'll forget about a Commander device for the Media Server for now and go back to the idea of the Fan PWM's into mobo headers and the QL120 RGB cables  -> Lighting Node Core-> USB Header to USB A Adapters -> Power USB Hub -> Main Rig

(I'm right about the Lighting Node Core needed for the QL120's. I think I mis-remembered earlier when I said RGB Hub needed and bought. That might have been back when I was going to use RGB ML120's for the Media Server but I actually think I switched my plan to QL120's before I got around to buying an RGB hub for the RGB ML120's.