Corsair Community

Fans running at max no matter what iCue preset is applied

Jagster

I just migrated my PC into a new case (4000D Airflow) from a Dark Base 700. I nabbed 3x Corsair LL120s for front intake, and they're plugged into a Commander Core XT. Those as well as my H100i AIO, wireless keyboard, RGB RAM, and wireless headset are all detected in iCue. However, for the LL120s, they stay running at max 1500rpm no matter which preset I choose between quiet, balanced, or extreme. When I change the preset for the AIO fans, they adjust speed accordingly just fine, so it's only the LL120s having an issue. Anyone know what's going on or recommend any fixes???

If you create a custom curve (+), do you have any control over the LL fans?  Note the sensor choice at the bottom.  Pick something like H100i Temp (coolant temperature) or GPU temp.  Avoid things like CPU temp that change very dynamically.  There also is a fixed %/PWM selector in the custom curve to make demonstrating control (or lack thereof) easier.  

Rainbow on the LL is behind?  What other RGB fans/devices are in there?  

Fan layers stack rather than override each other. Check to see if there is a spiral rainbow effect underneath. 

Can you show us your lighting effects screen in CUE (Commander Pro XT) for the LL fans?

3 hours ago, c-attack said:

Can you show us your lighting effects screen in CUE (Commander Pro XT) for the LL fans?

1st pic shows LL fans with default rainbow effect. Second pic I made a new lighting profile set to color wave that should alternate red and white but still has rainbow in the lighting even though it's also doing the red and white alternating

20211109_190912.jpg

That’s exactly it and good. If it was something else I’d be at a loss. The layering allows for some really complex patterns, but it’s nice for simple stuff too. You can layer color wave over a static white or send custom waves across a static or gradient background to keep the lights on while allowing subtle color shifts. It’s a top down hierarchy, so the highest effect on the list is dominant. Some effects like spiral rainbow have no “spaces” so it will cover everything underneath. 

Lighting link effects can be helpful, but they are global, so initiating it in one place creates it for all. Same for deleting. You also have less directional control or it doesn’t render in the expected way. Sometimes it’s better to set individual effects, especially if you have different LED counts. Things will look different on a QL/LL fan with 16 vs a ML-Pro with 4 LEDs. You do have the ability to turn lighting link effects off for individual devices by “hiding” them. Click on the color box in the effect list to toggle it for that device. You can then re-add the same or different effect on top and it will be independently controlled. I often use this for the RAM or keyboard that has a drastically different layout than fans and strips. 

2 hours ago, c-attack said:

That’s exactly it and good. If it was something else I’d be at a loss. The layering allows for some really complex patterns, but it’s nice for simple stuff too. You can layer color wave over a static white or send custom waves across a static or gradient background to keep the lights on while allowing subtle color shifts. It’s a top down hierarchy, so the highest effect on the list is dominant. Some effects like spiral rainbow have no “spaces” so it will cover everything underneath. 

Lighting link effects can be helpful, but they are global, so initiating it in one place creates it for all. Same for deleting. You also have less directional control or it doesn’t render in the expected way. Sometimes it’s better to set individual effects, especially if you have different LED counts. Things will look different on a QL/LL fan with 16 vs a ML-Pro with 4 LEDs. You do have the ability to turn lighting link effects off for individual devices by “hiding” them. Click on the color box in the effect list to toggle it for that device. You can then re-add the same or different effect on top and it will be independently controlled. I often use this for the RAM or keyboard that has a drastically different layout than fans and strips. 

Thanks again for your help. Yeah, I already knew about link vs individual settings. The LL120s go nicely with the RGB Vengeance Pro RAM and H100i cooler 🙂 I'll need to tinker with layering later on but am glad it's figured out for now. The only remaining misnomer is the default fan presets all staying at max rpm, but since it does respond to custom fan settings, I'm gonna leave it be for now.

Most people will want the custom setting regardless. You can apply the preset “liquid curve” by using the shape tools at the bottom. That will match the radiator fans but now you can see and move the data points. No reason not do it that way so you can make small adjustments for your own idle or max speed.