Corsair Community

[BUG REPORT] Corsair ICUE AIO Cooler issues

Bright

I decided to disable lighting effects on my PC as the combination of ICUE and Aura Sync were using ~8% CPU constantly. I can turn off the lighting, but I noticed that when I disable lighting effects for my H100i Platinum SE AIO, the temperature reported by the AIO jumps to 31.00C and stays there. The pump and fans ramp up to max and get really loud. If I enable a lighting effect, the temperature immediately drops back down.

Something seems to be wrong with the temperature polling when the lighting is disabled.

ICUE v4.15.153 (I know this is not the latest, I had to downgrade. v4.16.194 causes random windows hangs that require a hard reset to resolve.)

Unfortunately this is an old issue with the Platinum coolers.  Originally people were reporting very odd increases in coolant temperature when using full white or other high RGB effects.  So it stood to reason the sensor was picking up heat from the RGB controller in the pump housing area.  But then there people like you who reported the exact opposite -- turn off the lighting and the temp goes up.  I'm not sure I ever understood why and can't think of a logical reason.  I would contact Corsair Support and see what they say.  I am not sure where we are at with this anymore or if it has a user solution, other than micro-management.  

That’s odd. The Lighting Node Core is RGB only and Corsair use separate power delivery for the RGB and motor. Both are completely independent. Where are the fan PWM connectors?  MB?  As part of your Asus software, do you have AI Suite (Fan Xpert) installed?

I do use AI Suite 3 to control the Fans. Without touching Ai Suite, turning off RGB lighting will turn off the fans. I tested by setting the RGB effects to a static color. If I turn the brightness to black or very near black, the fans turn off, but if I increase the brightness the fans turned on.

Thanks for the info on the bug with the platinum cooler. I kind of wish corsair was more upfront about this kind of issue, since it would have probably affected my purchasing decision. (I want to be able to turn off RGB).

PS: I tried disabling RGB for the lighting core again today, and the fan speed seems unaffected. My best guess is that turning the lighting effect off for the lighting node reduced the CPU usage enough to cause the CPU to cool down enough to actually hit the lowest part of my fan curves (which has never happened before).

Edited by Bright

I am not sure on the fan speed change.  That's not something commonly reported, so I guess wait and see.  CUE interacts with the Asus Lighting Service (when the plugin box is checked), but it should not be able to interact with Fan Xpert.  Your theory seems the most logical.

The Platinum issue is strange.  Some users are unaffected.  Some users see a small 2-3C change where a firmware update might correct it or it's more of a hassle to replace the unit vs adjusting the curve by 2C.  Then there are some users who see really large coolant temp shifts from 5-10C.  That's too much for the cooler to be functional as designed.  Those users should reach out to Support for a replacement.  At that level of change, there is something not physically right with the hardware/sensor.