Corsair Community

Want to upgrade my ram

A Dub

Currently my specs are:

Motehrboard: Gigabyte B360M Gaming HD

CPU: Intel I5-9400F

GPU: Galax Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super

Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 3000MHZ

Now my question is, I am thinking to upgrade my ram to 16GB that means one more stick of Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 3000MHZ ram. So, my old corsair ram is Ver 3.31 and new is very new version, around 5, I think so, so will it be good for my pc for two different versions of ram or will it give some issues?

So you had a single stick of 8GB RAM and now you have added another?

The version numbers do not represent newer vs older. They do indicate the IC brand the RAM is based on. Your 3.31 version is Micron and your 5.xx should be Hynix. Each IC type has their own unique characteristics and usually different timings. You don’t want to mix them if you don’t have to. That said, sometimes it works out ok. You need to look on the box for the 5.xx kit for the XMP timings for 3000. You can get the same info for the already installed stick from several places, including the bios or software programs like CPU-Z in the SPD tab. If you’re lucky they are the same and there is a decent chance they will work together. 

Where you need to be careful is if you have different timings for 3000 MHz.  Usually you need to use the higher of the two settings and that is where the physical differences can come into play. If you don’t have solid return options on the new stick and you do have different timing sets, I would not advise opening the box.