Corsair Community

Fan rotation for Commander Core doesn't work

fl4co

I'm trying to rotate the RGB LEDs of some of my fans connected to the Commander Core that came with the H100i Capellix cooler, but the fans won't update the LED position.

I'm attaching a screen of the Lighting Setup section of the H100i in iCue. When I'm in this screen the fans switch to the single colored dot as in the image but moving the dots won't produce any effect in the actual fans.

I'm using iCue v. 4.16.194, but the problem has been present for a few versions now. Every device is up to date. Previously I used a Lighting Node Core and was able to rotate the fan LEDs.

Immagine 2021-11-03 130238.png

It doesn’t work in the manner most people expect. The dot represents the origin point or LED#1 for initiating an effect. This is most notable when running moving patterns from fan to fan and this is designed to compensate for having required alignment differences between panels. Part of the problem is while the dot rotates in the CUE UI, it does not move on the actual fan leading to confusion. This has been mentioned as a problem quite often, but it was designed that way I am not expecting change. 

If you test something like “sequential”, can you see the origin point change as you rotate the fans?

5 hours ago, c-attack said:

It doesn’t work in the manner most people expect. The dot represents the origin point or LED#1 for initiating an effect. This is most notable when running moving patterns from fan to fan and this is designed to compensate for having required alignment differences between panels. Part of the problem is while the dot rotates in the CUE UI, it does not move on the actual fan leading to confusion. This has been mentioned as a problem quite often, but it was designed that way I am not expecting change. 

If you test something like “sequential”, can you see the origin point change as you rotate the fans?

I tried and it's true, the animations are starting from a different point, although it appears to me to be random and not reflecting what's on the screen, and I didn't mount the fans upside down. So, thank you, but I think there's still a problem.

Also, I think the dots are supposed to rotate even in real life, otherwise what would be the purpose of showing them on the actual fans too? I previously used a Lighting Node Core and I'm 99,99% sure they used to rotate. I'd really hate to disrupt my cable management to install it again, connect the fans and double check, so maybe someone else can assess this.

the light on the fans don't rotate. when the feature came out i thought it was broken too but that's just the (counterintuitive) way it works. what you see on screen is where you want to place the effect starting point, and the fan shows you where its starting point is.

i had used the feature on Copro and LNP, the base LED never moved physically on the fan

5 hours ago, fl4co said:

Also, I think the dots are supposed to rotate even in real life, otherwise what would be the purpose of showing them on the actual fans too?

Yes, that is exactly the point I've made on several occasions regarding this.  I agree with you, but I am not expecting a change.  The easiest way to make sense out if it is to compare the software UI dot on the opposing sets.  So if all fans are in the standard "11 o'clock position", but you feel like your top two fans are backwards, flip the dots for those two to the opposite side (5 o'clock).  At this point most people are probably wise enough not to mount RGB fan rotated at 90 degrees or all in different positions, aside from those forced by the cable and intake direction.  

The other thing is you can play around with the dots to create some interesting effects.  Specifically on the QL there are a few sequential patterns that take on a different feel when you deliberately flip the dot to the other side.  It gives it a "shuffle" look as opposed to a continuous wave.  The LL has a few too and just one more variable you can use when creating patterns.