Corsair Community

overlap 2 different fan profiles?

CryptoKline

I have the H150i Elite Capellix AIO and I love that I can create my own fan profile for the fans on my radiator. It allows you to choose whether you want the fans to react to the CPU package temp, the AIO's coolant temp, motherboard temp, etc.. Generally, I like to keep it on the coolant temp as it's a more reliable source to monitor due to the CPU package temps fluctuating so drastically and frequently. But some tasks, like benchmarking, will boost the package temp instantly, yet the coolant temp will take a good 60 seconds or so to even start rising at all in temperature. So I just go in and crank the fans all the way up prior to benchmarking that way I'm not being bottlenecked by temps due to the fans taking so long to pick up the rise in temps. On the other hand, if I choose to go by the package temp alone, then when I get done with a game or a benchmark, the fans instantly spin almost all the way down because the package (mathematically) isn't hot anymore. In reality, it is, and I'd like the fans to stay on until the actual temp goes down. It would be nice if you could overlap 2 different fan profiles. The first could monitor the CPU package temperature and be able to quickly increase the speed of the fans while also allowing it to quickly decrease the speed of the fans IF the coolant isn't hot either. The second profile would overlay the first and would be based off of the coolant temperature so that, for example, after a 1 hour CPU stress test is finished and the CPU package temp instantly goes down to 40°C, the fans would slowly decrease as the coolant goes back down to normal temperatures. 

Corsair Fan Suggestion.png

My Corsair Gaming Rig.jpg

You cannot set multiple dependent fan curves, but in this instance you don’t need it anyway. When applying a heavy load you hit the cpu will the maximum voltage and there is an immediate temperature reaction. However, your cooling for the cpu is conductive. Fins, block, and Cold plate transfer heat from the cpu into the coolant stream. Your fan speeds do not matter at this point. 

The radiator and fans are the second stage of cooling - waste heat removal. This is how heat is released from the loop. The relationship is +1C to coolant = +1C to the cpu (at all loads and levels). Coolant temp is the baseline or theoretical lowest possible cpu temp. So when you start the test and the cpu temp jumps +40C, there is no difference between 600 rpm and 1600 rpm until the coolant starts to change. If you use something with a linear load you can see the coolant and cpu step up +1C together as the test progresses.

From a benchmark consistently basis, my suggestion is to set a fixed fan speed and always use the same one. I normally go with a moderate and tolerable level. Using 2400 rpm when you would never allow your fans to be that loud may give misleading results. if you are hitting the throttle point instantly, then you are too close to the edge anyway. For short duration benchmarks like the 3DMark series that replicate gaming scenarios you don’t need to do anything. The most you could reduce cpu temp is 1-2C and that should have no bearing on the test.