Corsair Community

Mixing clear Hydro X Series XL8 coolant with distilled water

M4ngo

Hey all! Another question about Corsair Hydro X Series products, this should be a quick one. 

If I don't have enough Clear XL8 coolant for my build, would it be ok to mix or top off my reservoir/pump with distilled water? I've heard many people try this with no issues but i'd like to have you guys' opinion on it. Thank you so much! Can't wait to hear back! Have an amazing day!

It will make the coolant more diluted so it's not ideal, but better than running just on distilled water.

It will work, but if you have enough coolant to run the PC, and just need to top up the reservoir, it would be nice to get more coolant 🙂

At least you know it will protect the waterblocks as intended.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, LeDoyen said:

It will make the coolant more diluted so it's not ideal, but better than running just on distilled water.

It will work, but if you have enough coolant to run the PC, and just need to top up the reservoir, it would be nice to get more coolant 🙂

At least you know it will protect the waterblocks as intended.

True.. guess I'll order some coolant when the shop is back up and running. As of right now the system is pumping a whole 1000ml but there's just some space between the open tube of the xd5 pump and the coolant, which I'm worrying about. Should my pc be fine with this amount? or should I just accept my fate and buy 2 bottles of xl8 coolant? :')

ah if the water is splashing, like, the tube isn't submerged, yes. Add some water to cover it to avoid having the pump suck air bubbles.

If it's not creating bubbles, you can wait, if you want 🙂

But it's always good to have some spare coolant in hand anyway. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, LeDoyen said:

ah if the water is splashing, like, the tube isn't submerged, yes. Add some water to cover it to avoid having the pump suck air bubbles.

If it's not creating bubbles, you can wait, if you want 🙂

But it's always good to have some spare coolant in hand anyway. 

Got it, thank you! As of right now the tube isn't submerged and it is making bubbles while it doesn't at the same time. In other words; it splashes sometimes and then it doesn't, it's a constant stream and it doesn't splash, but there are just a few times where it does. But you are right, spare coolant is always handy. Guess it's time to reach out for my card..

I'll probably have to hold off on using my build for a day or two till the coolant arrives then. Don't want to do anything out of hand, wanting to be safe with this build. And since it's best to have coolant in hand anyways I might as well. Thank you so much again! I seriously appreciate your efforts here on the forum! Hope you have an amazing day!