Corsair Community

iCue CPU temps cannot be right ... can they?

This is a fresh install.  Everything seems to work fine.

But playing with the dashboard I noticed my CPU temps seemed pretty high to me.  

In the screen shot below this PC has been powered down for most of the evening.  I booted it up and the instant Windows loaded I took this screen shot.  Can my CPU temps really go from cool room temp (it is 70 in this room this evening) all the way to almost water boiling in just the time it takes Windows to boot?

I am hoping I am just an idiot and have a setting wrong or something?

cpu_temps.JPG

First, please use metric for system temps. All docs, reference materials, etc. refer to Celsius. Posting temps in Fahrenheit will only confuse folks trying to help you. Yes, even Americans.

The coolant temp is at 25C, which is pretty low. But the cores are at 99C and are likely throttling. Pump speeds look good so I'd guess that it's a contact/installation issue. I'm assuming that you don't have some kind of crazy overclock in place, do you?

CPU load is at a constant 36%. You have something in the background trying to turn your PC into a space heater.

4 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

CPU load is at a constant 36%. You have something in the background trying to turn your PC into a space heater.

That's secondary. Primary issue is CPU temps at 99C. CPU Load at 36% won't cause that (assuming proper mounting and install of a cooler). Also consider that, at 99C, it's throttled to, what? 800Mhz?

the water temp stays flat.. so there's two issues apparently : possibly bad contact, and some program hammering the CPU at the same time.

if what iCUE calls VCPU is Vcore, yea, it seems its fully throttled down. that's like base voltage at 0.7v

Pushing 100C at the minimum Vcore (~0.70) suggest you don’t have good contact between cpu and cold plate on the pump head. When you take it off the TIM spread usually shows that with a section of un-spread material. Most often users don’t get the mounting posts all the way into the board or it can happen if you tighten down one corner/side all the way before attempting the other side.