Corsair Community

Commander Core and Commander Core XT, only one is detected?

Based on my googling, I am assuming that this is a problem because I have a x570 mobo, but I am going to lay out my specs and all my troubleshooting so far and see if there is a fix for this.  If not, I am extremely disappointed in this hardware and even more upset that I bought two thinking I just had a faulty one.

Specs

• Lian-Li O11 Dynamic XL Case Corsair
  • H150i Elite Capellix 360mm AIO that came with its own Commander Core
  • 10x Corsair LL120 RGB fans in the case.
  • ASUS Rog VIII Crosshair Hero x570 mobo
  • AMD Ryzen 3950x
  • 64gb (16x4) Corsair Vengeance DD4 rgb ram

The setup is as follows:

• The H150i, 3x LL fans on the radiator, and 3x bottom intake fans all connected to the Commander Core that came with the H150i.
  • The remaining 4x LL fans hooked up to the second Commander Core XT

iCue recognizes the H150i and the fans connected to it.  I can control fan speed, power settings, lighting, and just about everything on both those 6 intake fans and the H150i from inside iCue.  I can also control my ram and its RGP inside iCue as well.  I know that all of the fans work because I get each fan to turn on, spin, and display the default RGB setting.

However, absolutely nothing I do gets the iCue to detect the second Commander Core XT with the 4 exhaust fans connected to it.  So far I have done the following:

• Checked that my BIOS firmware is up to date, and reinstalled just to be sure
  • Updated chipset firmware to most recent.
  • Swapped the internal USB connections to see if it was just where it was connected
  • Daisy chained the two Commander Cores off of one another since the XT allows that
  • Purchased the NZXT internal USB hub and connected each Commander Core to that
  • Daisy chained the Commander Cores then connected them to the NZXT hub
  • Checked that all USB hubs are enabled inside my BIOS settings
  • Restarted the iCue service from inside the settings

So far, nothing at all works.  I still have full control over the 6 intake fans and no control or recognition of the 4 exhaust fans.

I have exhausted all remedies that googling has revealed.  I have only one option left and that is a 9-pin internal USB to USB 2.0 converter cable that I am waiting to be delivered to see if plugging the device into an external USB slot will solve the problem.

Otherwise I do not know what to do.  Obviously the Commander Core is the ideal product because I would rather have just two sata devices plugged into my case instead of 4 or 5. 

Is this just something that Corsair and x570 boards have to deal with? Has anyone had an identical issue and been able to fix it?

I don't think we have as much sample data on the Commander Core XT as we need, but in general all the x570, B550, and other recent AMD boards have issues with product detection and almost always when you chain in other devices to the passive passthrough ports on the Commander Pro or XT version.  Most all recent AMD board owners will need a powered USB hub to handle more than 2 devices, which is most set-ups.  The NZXT one is popular, but anything with a SATA power line should work.  Connect them all to that splitter.  Because the Com Pro and XT are passive, adding devices to their passthrough ports makes things even more difficult.  The hub should be about $20 USD and lot of people with only one USB 2 internal need it anyway.

20 minutes ago, c-attack said:

I don't think we have as much sample data on the Commander Core XT as we need, but in general all the x570, B550, and other recent AMD boards have issues with product detection and almost always when you chain in other devices to the passive passthrough ports on the Commander Pro or XT version.  Most all recent AMD board owners will need a powered USB hub to handle more than 2 devices, which is most set-ups.  The NZXT one is popular, but anything with a SATA power line should work.  Connect them all to that splitter.  Because the Com Pro and XT are passive, adding devices to their passthrough ports makes things even more difficult.  The hub should be about $20 USD and lot of people with only one USB 2 internal need it anyway.

I have the NZXT hub.  Didn't solve anything.

• Like 1

If the Com Core XT is not detected via the USB hub, then there may be a problem with the device. Does it show up in the Device Manager even though it is not in the software?

1 hour ago, c-attack said:

If the Com Core XT is not detected via the USB hub, then there may be a problem with the device. Does it show up in the Device Manager even though it is not in the software?

I thought the same thing which is why I went and bought a second unit, but it's having the exact same problems 😞

I know it's not impossible that both are busted, but I feel like those odds are very slim

This is pretty odd. How do you have the CoCoreXT connected? And the CoCore? The ComCoreXT has a splitter on the USB Connector - is the Commander Core connected to that?

As for having both in a system, I've done it and it works. On an AMD system (B450). With 2 CoCores and 1 CoCoreXT at one point, in fact. What version of iCUE are you running?

Edited by DevBiker

10 hours ago, DevBiker said:

This is pretty odd. How do you have the CoCoreXT connected? And the CoCore? The ComCoreXT has a splitter on the USB Connector - is the Commander Core connected to that?

As for having both in a system, I've done it and it works. On an AMD system (B450). With 2 CoCores and 1 CoCoreXT at one point, in fact. What version of iCUE are you running?

My mobo has two USB 2.0 headers and I think that I have just about tried every configuration, including the following:

• Core on 1; Core XT on 2
  • Core on 2; Core XT on 1
  • Core XT on 1; Core daisy chained to Core XT
  • Core XT on 2; Core daisy chained to Core XT
  • NZXT on 1; Core and Core XT to NZXT Hub
  • NZXT on 2; Core and Core XT to NZXT Hub
  • Core on 1; NZXT on 2 and Core XT to NZXT (as well as the reverse with XT on mobo and Core on NZXT)
  • Core on 2; NZXT on 1 and Core XT to NZXT (as well as the reverse with XT on mobo and Core on NZXT)
  • NZXT on 1; Core XT on NZXT and Core daisy chained to Core XT
  • NZXT on 2; Core XT on NZXT and Core daisy chained to Core XT

All I have left is the adapter that will arrive today that will convert the internal USB connector to a traditional USB 2.0 male connector that I'll plug into the rear of the mobo.

As mentioned above, I purchased a second Core XT thinking the first one was faulty but I am have identical issues.

As far as iCue, I am not at home right now so I do not know the exact version number but it's whatever is most recent.  When I click on the update button inside iCue it says I am at the current version.

LOL.  That is great news because I didn't have any other plausible explanation.  We probably should have needled you more about which CUE 4 version.  Only the last few recent ones will be XT capable since it's a brand new device.  

Edited by c-attack
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue trying to get a h170i Elite LCD (with its associated Commander XT) to work with a second Commander Core XT and a Commander Pro. All are updated. The most I can get to work using different plug-in scenarios including using an NZXT hub is two of the three devices working together. Every so often after a reboot I'll get all three to show up but iCue won't show the screen settings for the H170i display. Windows sees the devices but will say there is a "Driver Error" for the Core XT. If I take the h170 out of the mix the Commander Pro and the Commander Core XT work fine together. 

Th whole thing is driving me crazy. 

Screenshot 2022-02-20 181322.png

Screenshot 2022-02-20 181405.png

51 minutes ago, MOrifici said:

'm having the same issue trying to get a h170i Elite LCD (with its associated Commander XT) to work with a second Commander Core XT and a Commander Pro. All are updated. The most I can get to work using different plug-in scenarios including using an NZXT hub is two of the three devices working together

Based on what other users have reported since this post back in October, it is likely there is too much bandwidth on the line.  The Commander Core and XT seem to use more than a Commander Pro and then the LCD top has it's own requirements.  If you cannot connect them directly to the motherboard via USB 2, some users have successfully found a work-around by getting a USB 3 -> USB 2 adapter so they can use the extra throughput on the MB USB 3 port.  

Out of curiosity, what motherboard series are you using?  A lot of issues have been on the new Z690s and it's not clear if this is just the devices' requirements or if the new chipset has fewer USB 2 paths.  

Edited by c-attack

19 hours ago, MOrifici said:

I'm having the same issue trying to get a h170i Elite LCD (with its associated Commander XT) to work with a second Commander Core XT and a Commander Pro. All are updated. The most I can get to work using different plug-in scenarios including using an NZXT hub is two of the three devices working together. Every so often after a reboot I'll get all three to show up but iCue won't show the screen settings for the H170i display. Windows sees the devices but will say there is a "Driver Error" for the Core XT. If I take the h170 out of the mix the Commander Pro and the Commander Core XT work fine together. 

Th whole thing is driving me crazy. 

Screenshot 2022-02-20 181322.png

Screenshot 2022-02-20 181405.png

Having very similar issues. The following devices show up in "Bluetooth & other devices":

- Commander Core (supplied with H170i Elite LCD cooler)

- Commander Core XT (supplied with 7000X RGB case)

- LCD Cap for Elite Capellix coolers

One of them always displays a "Driver Error" depending on how I have them oriented internally. I have two USB headers on my MSI X570-A PRO motherboard so I added the NZXT internal hub because I read that it helped some with their issues. Unfortunately this wasn't the fix for me.

Thank god I read this post - was about to exchange my Commander Core XT which came with my icue7000X.

My Core XT is connected to the Mainboard USB, and on the Core XT is a Lightning Node Core. On my XT are 5xQL Fans and the iCue LS100 (4 stripes). The Node Core handles also 5xQL Fans.

Everything worked fine till I connected the Node Core, since then the Core XT shows "Driver Error". I deactivated/activated and uninstalled it several times. That seemed to fix the problem. But now it doesnt anymore and the driver-error occurs all the time. Maybe I´ll buy the NZXT hub and connect it to my other internal USB hub, which is used for a Gigabytge AiO display atm, connect the Node Core there and see if it works.

Anyway Corsair, thats a true nogo...

Today I disconnected my Node Core and it didnt help... The Drive Error is still there - seems like the CORE XT couldnt handle the node Pro over that long time. I only installed supported Corsair products - what a joke.

• 2 weeks later...

Same exact problem here. 690 Asus mobo. Corsair H150i aio to USB header on mobo. 2x Commander Cores to NZXT internal USB hub to mobo. iCue can only see two controllers at a time no matter what I do. Agreed, Flo257, what a joke. iCue is a complete pita. Never again. Fortunately all within return window. I’ll be returning this junk tomorrow. Good riddance. 

• 2 weeks later...

So today I handled that problem with much trial and error:

1. I bought an NZXT internal USB hub: Neither the Commander Core XT nor the Lightning Node Core have been detected, no matter what other configs I tried on the USB-Ports. The NZXT hub does not detect the Corsair Hubs. When I plugged my Gigabyte Aio on the Hub, it has been detected. So the hub is working, just not with the corsair products.

2. I pluged the Commander Core XT and the Lightning Node Core on the internal USB-Hubs and the AIO on the Commander Core XT Hub. It worked for some time, but especially when the PC is under workload the Fans on the Core XT started disconnecting again.

3. SOLUTION: I figured "Hey, maybe the Core XT cant handle the PWM, since its disconnecting under workload". So I put every PWM-Connector, except for 2, on a PWM-Splitter... And it worked. No more disconnects since then.

Summarized: I put the Commander Core XT and the Commander Node Core on my 2 internal Mainboard USB 2.0 Ports. Then I put my AIO USB-Plug on the USB-Port on the Commander Core XT. Lastly I connected the PWM-Plugs of 3 of my 5 QL Fans, which are connected to the Core XT, to an external PWM Splitter (which handles a total of 6 QL-PWMs.) 2 QL-PWM-Plugs are connected to my AIO and the last 2 QL-PWM-Plugs are directly connected to the Mainboard.

Setup: AMD 5800X / Gigabyte B550 Aorus Master / Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce 280X / Corsair Commander Core XT (with 3xQL 140 and 2xQL 120 Fans + 2xCorsair LS100 450mm and 2x Corsair LS100 250 mm) / Corsair Lightning Node Core (with 3xQL 140 and 2xQL 120 Fans) / Corsair iCue 7000X / Lian Li Strimer Plus (Mainboard + Triple VGA, NOT connected to Corsair) / MSI 3080 Ti Suprim X / AMD 5800X / 16 GB DDR4 Gigabyte Aorus (4400 Mhz CL 19)

I also found a post where it is mentioned, that an USB-Splitter like that (https://www.amazon.de/Männlich-weiblich-Verlängerung-Splitter-Connector/dp/B075XR1Q75) would work - in case you need an extra USB-Port and the NZXT and other USB Hubs with additional power supply won´t work. Seems like you need an USB-Splitter without power supply.