Corsair Community

Corsair Scimtar Pro RGB USB shorting out

Our kids knocked my wife's laptop over and bent the USB connection on her Corsair Scimitar Pro to about a 90 degree angle. I tried to straighten it, but wires broke internally. I stripped off the end to get to the wires and took a picture of the connection. I bought a USB 2.0 replacement end and attached the wires according to the way they were connected from the factory. I plugged it into my PC and the mouse didn't work. After a few minutes I felt the wires and they were getting hot. How did it short out with the factory wiring order? What is the factory wiring order if not what I took a picture of?

20211007_125148.jpg

20211023_230522.jpg

+5v is red, ground is black. it's back to front

• Thanks 1

I can't edit but, the black wire and the shiueld are connected together at the other end. that's why you are sending 5V to ground and shorting the USB, more than likely

Thank you! That's all it was. I had it backwards. The shield was not connected to the black, it has it's own dedicated connection, which I left in place. Now to secure all the wires so it doesn't tear out without the kids' help again. 😄 

you should be able to find USB plugs for soldering online, found some on amazon just looking for a few seconds 🙂

the screw tabs are nice for testing or..stuff that stays locked in a cabinet. they are not exactly kid-proof hehe