Corsair Community

almost 800MB bloatware just to see my HS80 battery life?

BK-Morpheus

After buying the HS80, it was time for me to install the iCue Software for the first time (never had any corsair peripherals before).

Oh boy, what a big 770MB installer for this software-suite, just so that I can see my HS80 battery life.

Also it comes with a lot of disadvantages compared to just using the HS80 without iCue:

- Discord sound prompts (mute/unmute, joining/disconnecting room sounds) are now delayed for ~2 seconds
- my Sound device configuration (2 Channels, 24bit, 44800Hz) is always getting overwritten by iCue with multichannel surround sound (although i completely turned Dolby or surround modes off) after every reboot

- additional, unnecessary load on the system, because of the constant sensor monitoring for temps, fans speeds etc, even when you remove the widgets from the dashboard

Imagine a person that has
- a Razer mouse
- a Steelseries Keyboard
- a Logitech Webcam
- a Corsair Wireless Headset

This persons system would get completely wrecked with the amount of additional bloatware on the system that is required to use these products with all Features.

Sadly all those big players that sell peripheral, seem to go this route with the "one app for all devices" approach. Some companies can get this "all in one software" done relatively compact and without many downsides for people that use only one device from that company and some can only get a huge bloatware with a lot of negative side effects.
I get it, it's less work for the software development team and If the "user" is using multiple devices from the same company, it can be nice to have only one software for all those devices.

I truly wish that Corsair would release a very compact software, dedicated for their wireless Headset lineup (maybe even multiple little apps for other peripherals as well) that is only offering the basic features (show battery status, search and update firmware, turn RGB on/off).

But since the Discord + iCue bug is already known for over a year, without any solution (other than the embarrassing workaround of using Discord in Win 7 or Win8 compatible mode), I doubt, corsair will listen and do something about it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just bought the HS80 and noticed the same thing. The part that bothers me most is that the software just overrides the baked headset settings instead of changing them. I don't mind having 1GB of software but needing it to be running 24/7 or I get default headset settings is just unacceptable for a $150 headset. No other product I have does this. I wish there was an easy way to edit the baked settings/firmware. I either have to become used to a really bright Red LED light while the mic is down and the headset auto shutting off, or I have to have Icue set as a startup program. I can't stand having unnecessary startup programs. Everything else about this headset is perfect. If I can't figure out a workaround in the next couple days I'm going to have to return it

• Like 1

• Corsair Employees

All of our current iCUE compatible headsets require iCUE to be running to control the EQ and lighting effects by design.  Custom EQ profiles and lighting are not able to be stored onto the device.  We appreciate the feedback and will pass it on to our development team to review for future releases.

Hi Nick, realise Corsair has relatively recently gone through the ground up rebuild for iCue 4 (which is, again, a massive improvement) but if you are feeding back, I hope the really will be an appreciation that bloat is a growing problem.

I realise it's done for convenience and to give users the simplest and snappiest user interface with immediate gratification when new hardware/games are added, but the downsides are now growing.

It's not just the size of the download. It's how much space the suite takes when installed. At time of writing, 1.36GB of game profiles in \ProgramData and the nearly 1GB in the main iCue program folders too. If you are passing on feedback, maybe one way to go would be to redesign so that:

The installer .msi is slimmed down and contains only core functionality - with the application itself able to selectively download and install extra components according to the hardware and software configuration on the target machine. In particular, have the app only install game profiles when they are actually present on the host, and lighting schemes when necessary.

That would create the requirement that host PCs would need to be connected to the internet - which is a non-issue for most modern games. Although if you wanted to head it off you could help things by keeping them in the installer but only decompressing and deploying when needed by the host system. It wouldn't be the end of the world to offer a separate standalone game profile download as a single file separate from the main iCue installer. That might also speed up the assembly of updates - how much would the installer shrink if the game profiles were split out?

It'd also be helpful if updating the suite didn't reinstall deleted profiles - or re-enable services that the user's already disabled! 🙂

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2022 at 8:28 PM, Corsair Nick said:

All of our current iCUE compatible headsets require iCUE to be running to control the EQ and lighting effects by design.  Custom EQ profiles and lighting are not able to be stored onto the device.  We appreciate the feedback and will pass it on to our development team to review for future releases.

ya tell them to make me icue that just monitors the battery with real numbers  that say 100% wen its full charge cuz right now all it always says is  charging even when its fully charged ?

rember just displays battery charge thing and updates firm wareon the headset an dongle thats all