Corsair Community

iCUE 4.16.194 and K95 RGB new limitations

Mickou06

Hi everybody...

Some days ago, and update to iCUE v4.16.194 has been deployed on my system.

I use it to handle my K95 RGB keyboard. Until then, everything was fine, but now, the new way to handle hardware profile is severely limiting my usage.

I use a lighting profile of 9 static color layers by default.

Until now, I was then saving this default profile to Hardware Profile #1, so during boot or while booting another OS, my keyboard 9 colors light profile was working, without iCUE running.

Now, it seems the hardware profiles are managed separately:

- Problem 1: I have to recreate it step by step to copy my default "software" profile

- Problem 2: I can't! Because hardware profile are limited to 5 static color layers!

So my question is: am I missing an obscure step in the (new) way to use iCUE, or is this pretty huge 5 layers limitation brought by the fact of not being able to copy profiles to hardware profiles a reality?

Anyway, thanks in advance for you help 😉

Mick.

What cue version were you using before?  The change to the current system with the 5 custom effect limit was made several years ago. However, if this profile was saved to your keyboard, it should still be saved to your keyboard. The update process doesn’t erase data saved to the KB, although you wouldn’t be able to change it. 

The problem occurred last week, I keep iCUE software updated as soon as an update is available. I didn't change my profile.

For any reason, while booting my computer, I noticed the color profile wasn't here anymore during the bios POST, my keyboard was full black in any M1 / M2 / M3 profile. Once booted into Windows 10, I saw the default 9 colors profile applied to the Keyboard, and therefore I started to investigate latest iCUE updates.

That's why I though the latest iCUE v4.16.194 was the culprit, but in fact, regarding your comment, I'm only discovering this "not so new" limitation just because my K95 suddenly lost its recorded M1/M2/M3 profiles...

Anyway, I'm in front on this limitation now, I cannot use the old and working "save to M1/M2/M3 hardware profile" feature anymore 😒

I am trying to remember when the change was made. If you could find one, it’s possible the early CUE 3 versions might be able to do it, but I feel like you probably have to find CUE 2, use it to load it to the board, then reinstall the current version. The problem is recent firmware updates may block you from using the older software. I don’t know if this can be done. This is the old 18 G-key K95?

Yes! This is the K95 RGB not platinum 

I’ll try to use iCUE 3

It will definitely need to be an older version, like 3.05 to 3.12. 

• 4 weeks later...

After switching back to iCUE v3.38.61 for legacy devices:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/downloads#download_form_1

Now I can save my 13 layers profile to hardware profile, my keyboard's full potential is back.

I'll never understand why iCUE 4.x brought this limitation of 5 color layers for legacy devices, from my point of view this is called "planned obsolescence"

Next time I'll have to buy an advanced keyboard, I'll go the DIY way!

• 3 months later...

Anyone still has a link to the 3.38.61 software? 

EDIT: nevermind I got it

Edited by EnterpriseNL