Corsair Community

iCUE causing high Ryzen idle temps

Xoltar

Hello,

I was recently investigating the source of frequent boosting causing high idle temperatures on my Ryzen 7 3800x and I believe iCUE is the primary source of this issue. According to this Reddit correspondence, monitoring tools such as iCUE and CAM can cause aggressive boosting behavior due to the frequency and duration of the core waking period.

This behavior has been documented in other threads and forums as well:

My understanding is that some monitoring programs (CPU-Z, Ryzen Master) are able to monitor cores without causing constant wake states. Is this something that is possible with iCUE or planned for a future update? I'm consistently idling at 45-50C with iCUE enabled, but quitting the process eventually drops me down to mid 30s which is much more reasonable.

I have a Corsair keyboard, RAM, AIO and a Commander Pro. Unfortunately the common consensus is that many users outright uninstalled iCUE, but I'm afraid that's not an option for me without switching to a different brand.

Thank you in advance for any input you all may have.

Hello Xoltar,

i can confirm, that iCue services are responsible for wattage an voltage increase on my cpu Ryzen 5900x.

i attached 2 files showing the difference.

AMD Ryzen can quickly jump to higher voltage when load is applied.

The difference between 0% load and 5% load is almost 30 watts. (on 12 core)

My solution for this was:

1) Assign iCue services to dedicated Ryzen cores, e.g core 11 and 12, games on cores 1-9, so atleast gaming is not affected by iCue interrupts

2) Assign iCue services a lower cpu priority

3) Automaticly switch to energy saving plan when idle for 10 sec or longer

To do all 3 things i use software Process Lasso.

no iCue

no_icue.thumb.png.81b4a0bedd0b82efff9a14b33403e874.png

full iCue

full_icue.thumb.png.88c3387e07575c89c6caf8b0c208b608.png

Edited by Simanova

That is an interesting solution. I used to run Process Lasso but became concerned that it may interfere with Windows task to core scheduling optimizations that were implemented to improve Windows performance on Ryzen processors. I gave up on iCue long ago, not because it excessively loads the CPU, but because it is a bloated buggy mess. That said, it might be time to give Process Lasso another go.

Thank you for pointing this out - however my concerns are that this is a workaround and not a true solution. I'd love to hear a response from Corsair about this as it seems to have been going on for nearly two years now. Surely there must be a way for them to address this? My fears are that this will fall on deaf ears despite being a demonstrable issue caused by the iCUE software itself.

it's been reported for years, and been a problem on intel too although Ryzen's crazy voltage regulation makes it more obvious.

We had high hopes when iCUE4 came out but nope, that was their chance to work on making iCUE more efficient.

The latest iCUE3 was .. less worse, as they worked on it a bit, but iCUE4 reinstated the high idle loads.

I guess it may have been brushed off as an AMD issue, because of the insane idle boost voltages.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees

There have been multiple threads about this issue created where it has been addressed. We would advise that you utilize the search feature within our forums.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2022 at 10:10 AM, Corsair Notepad said:

There have been multiple threads about this issue created where it has been addressed. We would advise that you utilize the search feature within our forums.

Thanks for the snarky reply, but if this has been addressed perhaps you could point me in the direction of these threads? I've searched and searched but I don't come up on any threads where this issue has been addressed. In fact, most of them remain unresolved to the best of my knowledge. The fact that I've been trying to get an answer to this for 8 months, and now I get this patronizing reply is unreal. Why even bother having forums and employees replying to threads if you're just going to tell them to look harder?

Perhaps this unanswered thread from 2019?

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/155329-new-high-end-build-running-hot/?do=findComment&comment=914970

Or this one from 2020, again unanswered?

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/165509-icue-rises-temps-on-ryzen-5800x/?do=findComment&comment=962675

Or this one again from 2020?

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/157106-icue-causing-high-idle-voltage-and-temps-on-ryzen-7-2700x/?do=findComment&comment=924005

Edited by Xoltar
sp
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...