Corsair Community

h150i Elite Capellix noise in quiet mode

DrGizmo

Hi Corsair community, 

I recently purchased and installed a h150i elite capellix in my new build. All was working great for about a week, and then all of a sudden i am hearing this loud noise in quiet mode. The noise is less audible in extreme mode. 

Thinking this may be an air bubble, i have tried cycling between quiet and extreme at 10sec intervals, i have tried tilting the case back and fourth while in extreme mode, and no luck whatsoever. Is this indeed air, or is it a pump malfunction? Here is a link where you can hear the noise: 

That is a typical noise when there is a bubble.  Unfortunately most AIOs don't have enough difference between low/high to cause the necessary pressure surge.  The tipping is a better bet, but you may want to shift your tubes up a bit before hand.  The air needs to escape out of the block into the tubes ports and in the current position would require a full 90 degree turn.  That's elevating the difficulty to be sure.  If you bend them first, you should be able to get away with a 45 degree tilt.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks c-attack. So i bend the tubes as advised, and rotated my case pretty much 80 degrees back, so the tubes were straight up. Ran it in extreme for 10min, and tried cycling between extreme/quiet for a few minutes. Still no resolution to the noise. Starting to think it must be a pump issue as i cant imagine how any air would still be trapped in there after that exercise. Any additional thoughts?

Tough to see from that video - is your radiator at the bottom of your case, by chance?  If it is, and your pump is above it, whatever air is in the system will have made it's way into the pump head.  Try moving the radiator to the top or front of your case if it's at the bottom.  

For more info, give this video a peek:  

The final step is to take it out of the case and run the system with a 24 pin jumped so you can have SATA power. Easy to manipulate and it will be very obvious if it is mechanical or bubble related. 

However, taking it out is certainly a pain. I would start a ticket with Corsair and see what they say. Once removed, you wouldn’t want to put it back in if it’s still making that racket. Something else to listen for is bubble noise is erratic and inconsistent. A bad motor noise is cyclical and mostly even.

• Thanks 1

Thanks c-attack for the help. The noise is actually very consistent - suspecting its a bad pump. Opened a ticket. Will keep this thread posted on the end result - just in case someone else stumbles upon this with a similar issue in the future!

Unfortunately if that noise is steady and consistent your original premise is likely true.  My advice is follow through on the RMA.  These things only get worse over time and you'll kick your self later for waiting.  

Just concluding this thread. So spoke with Corsair Support and they suggested the noise was indeed indicative of premature pump failure vs. air. I RMA'd the AIO, received and installed a new one tonight and its whisper quiet. 

So lesson for anyone else who may stumble upon this thread with the same issue - the noise in the video is not what air sounds like - its a faulty/damaged pump!