Corsair Community

Are there new digital PSUs replacing the AXi series?

skrybe

I currently have an AX760i and will likely need to go up a step soon. Looks like next gen, high end CPU and Vid cards might finally be too much for it so I'd be looking for something more like a 1000W PSU.

As far as I can tell the only AXI series left is the 1600W which is still overkill. Are there any replacement PSUs with both digital power delivery and ICUE monitoring?

You have the choice with iCUE monitoring between all the "i" versions. RMi with Gold, HXi with platinum, and AXi with titanium efficiency.

"Digital power delivery" is a bit of a marketing gimmick IMO. All high end PSUs use some kind of microcontroller, so they are all "digital power delivery".

Since most high end Corsair carries a 10 year warranty, i'd buy above what's needed today 🙂 you could get away with a 850W unit, but maybe RMi/HXi 1000, or HXi1200 would be good choices.

Tons of headroom, running passive cooling 99% of the time even with beefy builds

I'm aware the "i" models support ICUE, except none of those are digital right? I've looked at the HXI and RMI in the last week and I'm sure they're analog. Not saying they're bad, because they're not. But I was looking for another digital PSU since they're supposed to give a more precise power supply with less ripple and faster response to spikes.

Side note: the product pages don't seem to work properly with Firefox (FF 93.0) for me at least. Changing filters often doesn't work. Changing sort or number of items on the page never works. So I've had a hard time even trying to work through the different PSUs available.

If you look around I don’t think you’ll find another “digital PSU” from anyone else either. I think that concept has had its day for the moment. 

There are at least two that I've found, Be Quiet does one and there's another one (company name escapes me at the moment). But I'm not interested in them, I've been really happy with the AX760i so I'd rather stick with a bigger Corsair model. Just not the 1600...

If Corsair aren't making them anymore I'd love to know the reasoning. Like, were they not selling, were they having too many problems, were they making too little money?

Edited by skrybe

well, look at benefit/cost. what does it do? gain 1 or 2% efficiency for double the price? better transient response for extreme overclocking ? (do you do competitive LN2 overclock?)

Maybe the asking price was too high for a niche market within a niche market that is DIY PC

And as far as reliability goes, for the longest time the PSU models that kept popping up for suddenly not working were AX1200i and other AXi (although i understand they don't all have the same OEM).

The common issues we regularely see now on current RM and HX models are coil whine on the input protection, which is super annoying but will not stop your PC from working fine while you wait for a replacement to be sent.

feels like the flagship serie isn't the most reliable to be honest.

run the numbers with how much you pay per kW/h. you're saving pennies per year compared to even a gold model 😛

the ROI is nonexistent given the price difference.

You're mostly buying a cool running PSU that will remain silent, tons of connexions and stupidly low voltage ripple for extreme overclocking (and 1600W of course)

If people want to buy them why aren't corsair selling them? A big part of the selling point was the quality of the power delivery. And that has been superb. The Ax760i is the longest lasting and best performing PSU I've ever had. It's literally lasted twice as long as any other PSU (including decent Corsair and Seasonic ones) I've had. So for me at least it's a win all round - quiet, efficient, no weird power related hiccups and saved me money because it's lasted twice as long (*and still going*).

@HardcoreGames out of curiosity what sort of load do you run the AX1600i under? It might be the only option left.

• Like 1

I was thinking more like total, I've hit a high of 600W out of the possible 760W PSU I use based on ICUE's readings (so about 80% load).

On 10/21/2021 at 8:51 PM, skrybe said:

If people want to buy them why aren't corsair selling them? A big part of the selling point was the quality of the power delivery. And that has been superb. The Ax760i is the longest lasting and best performing PSU I've ever had. It's literally lasted twice as long as any other PSU (including decent Corsair and Seasonic ones) I've had. So for me at least it's a win all round - quiet, efficient, no weird power related hiccups and saved me money because it's lasted twice as long (*and still going*).

As for why Corsair isn't selling them ... it's likely going to be the same reason that ALL electronics and electronic-related components are getting more and more difficult to come by. You do realize that there is a global shortage of components and all kinds of supply chain disruptions, right? I mean ... it's been all over the news and all.
Corsair is a business. If people want to buy something of theirs at a price where they can make a profit, they want to sell it to them. Capitalism makes it just that simple. But they can't sell what they can't get the parts to build.

@DevBiker I doubt the component shortages have anything to do with it. It's not that they're technically available but you can't buy them ala GTX380 cards. They're no longer even listed. I'm not sure exactly when they dropped the lower wattage PSUs but I've been looking for them since before covid started wreaking havoc on the supply chain. So yeah I am aware.

Depending on what country you select on the corsair website you'll have different results on the products page. it's a huge mess 🙂

Some products don't exist when i look in French, but switching to English, they pop up again. the thing isn't really maintained i imagine.

• 4 months later...
On 10/21/2021 at 9:51 PM, skrybe said:

The Ax760i is the longest lasting and best performing PSU I've ever had. It's literally lasted twice as long as

There's the answer to why they aren't making them anymore 🙂 I've got an RM750i that's been great. My current 12900k + 3070 + 64GB DDR has maxed it out under video editing load (my peripherals drop out or Blue Screens). I LOVE the monitoring functions (made diagnosing the previous SO much easier). Sad to have to swtich brands for a 1000W unit. 

@judsonianThat's the problem I'm facing. I think I'm butting up against the capabilities of the ax760i now and would love to go ax850i or maybe ax1000i but don't want to have to make the jump all the way to ax1600i 😞 I am holding off any decisions right now pending the next gen of cards and PCIe5.

@LeDoyenabsolutely. There is something to be said with sticking with simple plain HTML websites for corporate sites. The number of companies that have gone for flashy, dazzle them with BS websites that make it hard to find actual real information is way too high. Corsair isn't the worst, but it's certainly not the best.