Corsair Community

PSU RM750i pcie power cable problem

I have the following power supply: RMi Series RM750i — 750 Watt 80 PLUS Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU

I just installed the following graphics card:

ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Republic of Gamers Strix V2 OC Graphics. (MFR #ROG-STRIX-RTX3060TI-O8G-V2-GAMING)

The card requires 2 x 8-pin pcie power connections. I tried using just one of the pcie power cable (with 2 x 2+6 connectors) but the graphics card shut down. I connected a second pcie power cable to the power supply. Now the graphics card has two separate pcie power cables. There is a red light next to each pcie power connector on the graphics card. Sometime one of these red light will flash indicating that there is a power problem. If I wiggle the pcie power cable with the red flashing light sometimes the light will go out. Does that indicate a faulty pcie power cable?

Another thing. There are two pcie power connectors on each pcie power cable. If I only use one does it make any difference which one it is?

Ed

Update: I unplugged all the power cables from the power supply and plugged them back in a few times. No more red lights on the PCIe power connectors on the graphics card. The power problem at least for now seams to have gone away. Maybe the almost 5-year old power supply had some oxidation on the connector pins. Does that seem reasonable?