Corsair Community

hydro Xd7/XD3 pc

creger

well, that loop is something else..

Why 3 pumps if i may ask? ^^ a single XD3 would have been more than enough even if the GPU was watercooled too.

the XD7 upside down is basically acting as an air trap. Why not put a radiator in the lower position instead? that would help thermals a lot more, not that a CPU only loop would need it anyway

34 minutes ago, LeDoyen said:

well, that loop is something else..

Why 3 pumps if i may ask? ^^ a single XD3 would have been more than enough even if the GPU was watercooled too.

the XD7 upside down is basically acting as an air trap. Why not put a radiator in the lower position instead? that would help thermals a lot more, not that a CPU only loop would need it anyway

There are 3 different loops in there, when I bought the XD7 pump I thought It had 3 different pump outlets. One of the XD3 pumps supplies coolent to the 8TB ssd and also pushes coolent to the XD7 to force air out of it. The other pump goes to the radiator on the back of the case. So far I dont have problems with air getting trapped in the XD7 pump. To sum it up there are 3 different loop paths with 3 pumps.

Edited by creger
add a summary

The very short (thin) distance from front to back on both the XD7 and XD3 make the lying flat orientation difficult and best avoided when possible.  On the XD3 you get a lot of action in the chamber and laying it down will dramatically alter the flow mechanics.  I don't have an XD7 but I wonder about the same issue in reverse with the pump above the reservoir and inverted.  

• Corsair Employees

While this looks cool and intricate you probably made it more complex, and less optimal in regards of performance than it could have been.

I can't really tell how exactly that loop is plumbed up, but to me it seems like you have massively overcomplicated things. The XD7 should never be mounted in that location which is also stated in the manual - it should only be mounted upright as the reservoir portion will otherwise not function correctly. The XD7 is designed with multiple inlet and outlet ports in mind, but they all run in serial as having all the ports be in parallel would not be good for most loops.

You will not gain anything by having multiple pumps pushing coolant out to separate components, especially not in this setup. I do appreciate new and crazy things but as you said yourself, it was a pain to bleed, and I think you might also run into other problems.

Best setup for a system like this would probably be to take out the XD7, and just run the two XD3's in serial since you have them. I would not bother with the split inlet and outlet, but just run the entire loop in one length.

Also, I can see you have mounted a temperature sensor in the "bottom" of your XD7 - this is not a compatible place for the temp sensor as the coolant in that area is stale and not moving, so you will not get an accurate temperature readout.

just to add to it, the SSD only needs a trickle of water to be cooled, so adding it to any part of the loop is fine without needing its own pump.

The CPU block is the only one that will generate any amount of real heat and still, it's not overly sensitive to water flow variations as a GPU block may be.

You could run the two blocks off a single pump and run it at half speed on a single loop, with head pressure to spare.

The XD3 has more head pressure than the D5, but with only two radiators you won't notice a difference. If you later add a GPU block and a bottom rad, you may see an increased flow using a XD3 if you had a flowmeter attached somewhere, because it overcomes restrictions better than D5 pumps.

Also, with 3 water paths on a single loop, you will recirculate a lot of water that will not pass through all the radiators, depending on how it's all connected.

TL:DR : custom loop pumps are a lot more powerful than you may think, and water flow is not as critical as you may imagine 😉

Starting out, yes the loop is way more complicated than necessary. There are 4 radiators in the system 2 360x30mm 1 360x47mm and 1 120x30mm radiator. All but the rear 120mm have full push and pull fans. I may post pictures of the computer once its fully completed. The XD7 goes from its output into the CPU then past a temperature probe through 2 360x30mm radiators first one on the top, then one on the front. Finally ending in the bottom 4 way connector on the bottom XD3. The Bottom XD3 has 2 outputs, one has a shutoff valve and is used to force air out of the XD7 and enters the XD7 at what would normaly be the fill port., the other path runs from the front of the bottom XD3 down and around to what would normaly be the top left of the DX7 then up to the 8TB m.2, from there it runs to the 120mm radiator then past a temp probe into the 4 way connector at the top DX3 front intake. the top XD3 runs to the XD7 and enters just above the output that runs to the CPU.  from there it runs to the 360X47mm radiator on the back, past a temp probe through a filter and into the top of the 4 way above the top pump. the bottom of the bottom 4 way connector has a line running to what would normally be the final intake for the XD7. in testing all 3 pumps work as expected independant of each other. maybe down the road Ill cut the XD7 out and add another 360mm radiator at the bottom, my only problem is there is not enough room there for Push and pull fans even if that would be excessive.

you could just about cool the CPU and NVME with only the 120mm and a push pull 🙂

A 360 would give better temps and start being overkill. Beyond that, for a CPU only loop, it's completely overkill and you won't see much difference between one 360 or 3 (or 4).

The NVME needs so little cooling that usually, SSD waterblocks don't even have fins. it's just a flat copper plate, water in/out, done.

Now if you add a GPU block, here you will start to have more serious heat loads to deal with depending on what chip it is, and you'll largely benefit from using 3 or 4 radiators.

You could run all the rads, and 3 waterblocks in a single serial loop with a single XD3 pump if you wanted. It has enough head pressure to deal with it, being a DDC pump.

The XD7 (D5 pump) will need to run faster to get the same flow as a DDC pump on a large restrictive loop.

Using dual XD3, although not technically needed would get you higher flow, which may help gain a degree or two on a very power hungry GPU like a 3090 or a 6900XT where flow starts to matter a little.

Mixing 3 pumps of two different types on the same loop must give pretty interesting flows where they join. in the end they all pass through the same 9mm opening in the fitting, each pump fighting the backpressure of the other. I bet the XD7 was having a bad time bleeding air because of the XD3 backpressure.

Now that it's XD7 + XD3,  the other XD3 may start struggling You may not see the inefficiencies because the CPU doesn't need that much cooling to begin with, but adding the GPU to the loop later, it would become a nightmare, recirculating warm water in one side, cooling some water in the other, then mixing the two to feed the waterblocks again. 

As for the push/pull setup, it helps if you have few radiators like one or two and need the maximum efficiency out of them.

With 3 or 4 rads, it makes little difference, again maybe a degree or two at best.