Corsair Community

Memory Problem-RANDOM Reboots

X_herb

Hi I've been having a problem with my computer for over two years with random reboots while working on the computer. When restarted the serious crash msg from Windows points towards a memory error, a bad driver, or bad hardware.

Reading the forums recently I came across the MemTest86. I have two sticks of 512MB Value Select Corsair memory running on a Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 motherboard with a Pentium 4 2.4 ghz processor. After running the test BOOM I get a bunch of memory errors. So I take out one stickfrom the DDR4 slot and run the test again. BOOM more errors. I take that stick out and run the test on the other stick and NO ERROR!!! I ran the test on the good stick of ram for about 12 hours and no errors. I put the other stick of ram in the DDR 4 slot and ran the test again. After the first pass no errors. Than BOOM more errors.

To make sure the problem was with the RAM I put the RAM in my roommates machine and ran the test and BOOM more errors.

I've read the forums what else can I do??? Since taking out the stick of RAM yesterday I have yet had a random reboot. Any help would be nice and a new stick of RAM would be nicer.

Thanks Corsair Support

I should also add that I used the Microsoft memory tester and never had any errors pop up. WHAT A PIECE OF SH%#!!! I've tried a new video card and still had the problem. Please help me!!!

No problem, please let me know when you get the new modules.

I also have some more information to let you guys know about. I tried the ram in another computer that doesn't have dual channel technology and ran the mem86 test. The module went through many passes without any errors. Could it possibly be that the module is only good for regular mobos? The same model of ram that shows no errors on my mobo is also installed but shows no errors in either system.

Just wondering if you have any information on this.

Thanks RAM GUY.

• Corsair Employees
More than likely the module is not bad just some MB's are pickier with memory than others. It really depends on the MB makers and how they do the MB layout as to the long-term stability.

More than likely the module is not bad just some MB's are pickier with memory than others. It really depends on the MB makers and how they do the MB layout as to the long-term stability.

Why would one stick of ram purchased at the same time and the same make and model have one that shows errors on certain systems while the other does not?

Just seems weird. I've purchased two new 400mhz 512MB of RAM to test the situation.

I have also sent out the Memory for your testing today. Perhaps you have some ram that has been tested on a dual channel motherboard? I've seen sticks of memory that relate to dual channel technology.

Thanks,

Kris

• Corsair Employees

Kris,

All of our XMS modules are tested on a MB at their rated speed before they leave our factory. But if you did the RMA we will just replace them with new modules. Please let me know when you get the new memory.

Kris,

All of our XMS modules are tested on a MB at their rated speed before they leave our factory. But if you did the RMA we will just replace them with new modules. Please let me know when you get the new memory.

I received the new memory and ran the MemTest86 while in dual channel mode and more errors came up. However, this time when running each stick seperate there were no errors. I than ran both sticks in single channel mode and received zero errors.

What now?

I've also contacted the mobo manufacturer and they have guided me into increasing the voltage to the DIMM slots by +.01 in an attempt to stablize the ram. I wanted to wait until I heard from you guys first. I'm now installing Sandra 2005 to benchmark the system until i hear from you guys.

Thanks.

Kris

Yes please set the Dim Over Voltage control to +.2 Volts and if you still have problems please see if a friend can maybe help you test the modules in another MB.

Well I've tested the memory in Single channel mode and both memories run fine through the MemTest86 and that's with the +.02 Volts to the Dimm. Even on my friends computer both modules run fine in Single and Dual channel on his MoBo with regular voltage.

I am now leaning towards the belief that the mobo is the problem in this situation. I have contacted the MoBo (Gigabyte) about the problem and they keep on giving me the run around about trying different software to test the memory and such...Have you guys had any history of troubles with the Gigabyte Model GA-8IK1100 Rev. 1.0? I have now changed the video card (Now a ATI ALI-X800XT), the Processor to a P4 2.6GHZ and even the memory. Now in single channel the computer runs slower but with zero errors. I want my old speed back but with no errors!!! FRUSTRATING!!!

Also what I find odd is that the memory module that I returned showed errors on both my system and my roommates. But now with the new memory the erros are only showing on mine.

I have installed both sticks in Single Channel mode with no problems or errors. Once the memory is installed to utilize the Dual Channel mode MemTest 86 shows errors after one or two passes. However, on my roommates MoBo no errors show even when in Dual Channel. This problem is verry troublesome but I feel like I'm getting closer to the problem. I hope you guys may have another answer for me to get this memory stable. Best yet I guess I should contact my MoBo manufacture and shake them down for a new MoBo or at least a test of this MoBo.

Also, what are your thoughts on the frequency of the RAM not being high enough for the dual channel mode? Any help to fix this problem without tearing apart my tower would be great...but I am now to the point where any fix is a good fix.

Thank you once again for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Kris Wall

• Corsair Employees

Kris,

If the modules run and pass http://www.memtest.org one at a time but not when in dual channel that would suggest some other problem. Either the MB it self is failing or maybe the Power Supply you have is getting ready to fail or maybe just not enough power for your system configuration. In addition, the fact you tested the modules in another system would suggest that the problem is not with the memory. However, I would suggest checking your PSU and make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Over Voltage control to +.2 Volts and see if that will solve the problem. Short of that I would maybe consider replacing the MB. Sorry!

:confused: :confused:

Kris,

If the modules run and pass http://www.memtest.org one at a time but not when in dual channel that would suggest some other problem. Either the MB it self is failing or maybe the Power Supply you have is getting ready to fail or maybe just not enough power for your system configuration. In addition, the fact you tested the modules in another system would suggest that the problem is not with the memory. However, I would suggest checking your PSU and make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Over Voltage control to +.2 Volts and see if that will solve the problem. Short of that I would maybe consider replacing the MB. Sorry!

Alright, I called the GIGABYTE guys and they were giving me the run around once again blaming the problem on everything but the board. So as we started to get back on track to the dual channel problem they asked me to install the memory into the memory bay next to the one they were currently in. So I installed the memory in dual channel one over in the memory bays and so far I have been running the MemTest86 with no errors while in dual channel.

Does this mean the board is bad and should I request a fix from Gigabyte???

Thanks,

Kris :o:

• Corsair Employees

The modules should be installed on either slots 1&3 or 2&4 enable for it to run in a dual channel mode; if the modules works perfectly fine on either slots 1&2, 1&4, 2&3, or 3&4 then more than likely the memory controller on the board could be bad. Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

VS512MB400 or VS1GBKIT400

Advanced Chipset Features (Ctrl + F1)

DRAM Clock: 400 MHz

Configure Dram timing by SPD: Disabled/User define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

SDRAM Burst Length: 8

SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4/Auto/Enabled

SDRAM Command Rate: 2T

Frequency Voltage Control

CPU Freq: 200

Memory or Dim Reference voltage: 2.7/2.75 Volts (+.2)

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI 9200 or 9600 then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

The modules should be installed on either slots 1&3 or 2&4 enable for it to run in a dual channel mode; if the modules works perfectly fine on either slots 1&2, 1&4, 2&3, or 3&4 then more than likely the memory controller on the board could be bad. Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

VS512MB400 or VS1GBKIT400

Advanced Chipset Features (Ctrl + F1)

DRAM Clock: 400 MHz

Configure Dram timing by SPD: Disabled/User define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

SDRAM Burst Length: 8

SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4/Auto/Enabled

SDRAM Command Rate: 2T

Frequency Voltage Control

CPU Freq: 200

Memory or Dim Reference voltage: 2.7/2.75 Volts (+.2)

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI 9200 or 9600 then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Well RAM guy nothing seems to work. I've installed the memory in every conceivable configuration on the board. I've gone through all of your BIOS settings. AND still when the memory is installed in Single Channel Mode I never receive an error...Ever. However, once the memory is installed in Dual Channel Mode I start getting errors. I've tried everything...even testing this memory on other computers for an entire night with MemTest86. Gigabyte's service is slow and pain stanking but hopefully they will realize that perhaps their memory module may be bad?! If that is even the problem. Aside from everything else RAM Guy has done for me is there any other ideas of how to stablize the memory?

Thanks a ton!

Kris Wall

• Corsair Employees

Kris,

If I understand you correctly the modules run with out problems in another system and pass in single channel. If this is correct them that would suggest some other problem. In addition the PSU may also cause this type of problem as well. However I have no problem replacing your modules if you want to try that, but from what you have posted I would suspect some other issue.

Archived