Corsair Community

Jumping RPM on CPU_FAN

Hello all,

I am new here and hopefully in the right place created the thread. 

I have a H100i Elite Capellix for half a year now and no problems. Tuesday I switched to Windows 11 and also got a firmware update (2.106.x) for the H100i when I installed iCUE. Since the update, the RPM on the board is sometimes displayed correctly with 2400 RPM but at some point this starts to fluctuate. Between 1200 and 300 until it goes to 0. Then also come the error message (CPU_FAN) at startup. Mostly, however, after a fresh cold start is again a smooth boot. Also tried other fan slots, but with all the same problem. I assume a firmware problem or do you think Hardware is the defective. In iCUE Itself you can see that the pump is running the whole time on a stable RPM. It’s just the sensor

What do you think? 

Thank you !

BR

Nico

Edited by Nico103

Contact Corsair Support.  The pump RPM should never fluctuate like that.  It's possible a firmware flash may resolve it and you can try force updating from CUE now.  I normally don't advise it without good cause, but this qualifies.  I don't know if that will work, so you want to get things moving along with Corsair as well in case a replacement is needed.  

It’s just fluctuating on the CPU_FAN sensor. So the Pump itself is running. It’s best to see when you switch the pump to intensive mode. But I agree with you that this should not be the case. 
I tried forcing a update/reinstall os/reinstalling iCUE to force a update again but the issue still exists…maybe a older firmware will be nice to double check but don’t know how to get this.

thanks! 

Do you mean CPU fan in the CUE dashboard is fluctuating?  Or do you mean in the BIOS or other monitoring software?  There is a definite CPU fan bug for Asus owners on 4.16.  It gives false readings, even when nothing is there.  I have an empty CPU fan header and a nice and even 65K fan speed reading at all times.  

If the above is not the case, then maybe we need a bit more detail.  A steady pump speed in CUE but a wonky CPU fan reading could be a physical problem with the tachometer wire (that's all that connector does) or it could be software interreference from another program like ADIA or HWiNFO.  

The CPU_FAN fluctuates in each monitoring. In iCUE and HWiNFO. You can also see it in the BIOS. Only when I do a cold boot everything is okay and at some point it starts. Sometimes it looks like it is not used. No display in iCUE and also in BIOS n/a. I have also plugged in somewhere else, but unfortunately the same problem there too. I have the latest BIOS 2401. I have also downgraded to Windows 10 and only installed iCUE to check if maybe the firmwareupdate has gone wrong on Windows 11. have also forced an upgrade to Windows 10, but the same problem. The whole thing occurred on Tuesday when I received after the iCUE update to 4.16 also the firmware update to 2.106.x of the water cooling. Yes the 65000 I also have in iCUE and was wondering It is maybe the VRM Fan But thanks for the info that this is a bug. 

what information do you need and I will provide it. 

21 minutes ago, Nico103 said:

No display in iCUE and also in BIOS n/a. I have also plugged in somewhere else, but unfortunately the same problem there too

That sounds like a problem with the tach wire or sensor.  It is not an essential part of the AIO's operation, but you can reach out to Corsair Support if you like.  It's only real function is for someone not using CUE at all or as part of several overlapping safety features (CPU boot error when no device detected). 

Was on Tour the whole day .. started computer right now and it is working again .. was thinking as well of the wire but the behavior starts until the firmware upgrade. Was thinking of maybe get a downgrade from the firmware?

I can't think of any logical connection between firmware version and this.  It is a really basic signal along that wire and not something that would change ever.  However, when you update the firmware power to the pump is interrupted.  It's the same effect as starting up the PC and typically when electrical stuff fails its at "power on".  This could have happened on the next boot as well without firmware alterations.  The hit or miss nature of it suggests bad conductivity along the path rather than blowing the sensor, but disruptive all the same. 

I would be cautious about downgrading the firmware.  First, you'll need the hex file from somewhere.  Second, we don't really know what was in that last firmware update.  It could be far more important than this.  I would contact Corsair Support.  

okay. I just suspect it very strongly, because the problem occurred after the update or after the first reboot. And if the cable was broken, it would not always work after a cold start and then fall off. That makes me so thoughtful. 

Of course I can turn it off via the BIOS but that is for me only a workaround and not a solution, because it is also money in the end what I paid for a functional AIO. 

I will write to the support and then report to you again.

corsair support does not want to give me a downgrade because it is too dangerous and excludes the cooling ... have connected a boxed fan and it works without problems ... I exclude the board and wanted to keep you informed.