Corsair Community

Memory Problem

I purchased Dual Corsair Value select DDRAM in April of 2004 (2 sticks, 256MB/each VS256MB400C3 Lot 0406017). It has performed well until recently. when my PC started to crash regularly. After several messages from my OS (XP SP2) indicating a variety of probelms (often a page fault error), my OS suggested a memory error. I was directed to download memory test software WINDIAG which I booted from a floppy. The memory check program indicated errors on each pass for the 1st memory stick. I removed that stick and moved up the 2nd memory stick to the 1st bank and have been running ok with 256MB.

I have a P4/2.8CGHz 800M478P/512K HT RT CPU, on a Gigabyte GA-81PE1000 MB. All of my BIOS settings are at default.

What should I try, and do you need any additional information?

Thanks,

Paul

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest bios version installed and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Over Voltage Control to +.2 Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure.

If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

I have reset updated bios and increased DIM voltage by .2V, then tested each stick with memtest from the website you identified. One stick tests ok and the other has errors.

It looks like the next step is to request an RMA, using the post ID #. Are the twin/dual memory sticks "paired" such that I should send both sticks back (assuming RMA approval)? or should I just send the bad stick?

Thanks again,

Paul

Please make sure that you have the latest bios version installed and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Over Voltage Control to +.2 Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure.

If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

• Corsair Employees

The Forum Post Number: #191719 is at the top of your post.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived