Corsair Community

Upgrade to iCue v4.16.194 causes kernel32.dll error

jrwalden71

Just upgraded to iCue v4.16.194. After installation, iCue won't run. I get an error complaining about the kernel32.dll file.

Error: The procedure entry point SetProcessInformation could not be located in the dynamic link library Kernel32.dll

I'm running Windows 7 64bit.

Rubik2022 probably that is the cause.   Uninstall the entire application except your profiles (the installer has an unintuitive GUI - There is an option button you must pick, if you use the default it will fail).  Roll back to 4.14.179.  I don't know if this version of software is available on their website, I had a backed up copy.

If you get a profile already exists error, the software did not do what you told it to.

Good Luck jrwalden71.

My faith in Corsair was just blown - 16% of installations use Window 7 and it appears Corsair has a malperforming QA department (if indeed they have one at all)

On 10/11/2021 at 6:39 PM, rob.voorhees said:

My faith in Corsair was just blown - 16% of installations use Window 7 and it appears Corsair has a malperforming QA department (if indeed they have one at all)

Does it really make sense for Corsair to continue to support an operating system that Microsoft themselves stopped supporting in January of 2020? The fact that people still use an OS that doesn't even receive security updates anymore is laughable, to expect modern software to make accommodations for them is ludicrous. 

Microsoft still offers paid security updates for Windows 7, and it is possible to get them as an individual. If you don't want to or can't pay, the updates are available in the Microsoft Catalog, and can be installed with a separate tool that ignores the check for the extra license.

That said, at the very least it should have been mentioned in the release notes that Windows 7 was no longer supported. Otherwise it's ambiguous as to whether the change was intentional or not.

Edited by hitokage

• Corsair Employees
16 minutes ago, hitokage said:

Microsoft still offers paid security updates for Windows 7, and it is possible to get them as an individual. If you don't want to or can't pay, the updates are available in the Microsoft Catalog, and can be installed with a separate tool that ignores the check for the extra license.

That said, at the very least it should have been mentioned in the release notes that Windows 7 was no longer supported. Otherwise it's ambiguous as to whether the change was intentional or not.

We do in fact have a support article stating OS compatibility with iCUE. 

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040957051

3 hours ago, Corsair Notepad said:

We do in fact have a support article stating OS compatibility with iCUE. 

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040957051

That should be mentioned in the release notes - especially since it's a change.

OS/system compatibility should also be mentioned on the download page or a link to that article placed there.

Edited by hitokage

• Corsair Employees

The question of iCUE 4 support on Windows 7 came up when iCUE 4 was launched and we stated then that it was not officially supported with that specific OS. 

I upgraded to this version once is was available and the lighting effects for my K55 RGB keyboard doesn't work.  The lighting effects for my mouse still function.  I have Windows 10.

Edited by SR49

This is the worst update I had yet V.4.16.194 I even tried a clean install that didn't work. also it crashes when open from back ground at times. 

bug.PNG

1 hour ago, Corsair Notepad said:

The question of iCUE 4 support on Windows 7 came up when iCUE 4 was launched and we stated then that it was not officially supported with that specific OS. 

I don't know if that was mentioned anywhere else, but not everyone follows this forum. Until 4.16.194 didn't work, I didn't ever look here.

It's not that big a deal for me anyway. The only thing I have it for is a K70 keyboard, and the move to Windows 10 is planned to happen soon.

On 10/14/2021 at 6:19 PM, hitokage said:

That should be mentioned in the release notes - especially since it's a change.

OS/system compatibility should also be mentioned on the download page or a link to that article placed there.

Agreed on that. I hate when people fail to mention Win 7 in the release notes. I don't really care though. The last version works great for me, and I turn all the processes off anyway and kill iCUE most of the time. It retains my light color on the DPI that way and I have no Corsair processes running. If I want something special I will only have the main iCUE process running. Works for me.

Also, for the wads who think people should just upgrade, some of us don't want to or care to atm. Win 7 is a beautiful OS. Rando security concerns are rarely if ever relevant. Nvidia stopped their driver too. So it does suck because they didn't have to do this.

I plan on being forced to Win 10 at some point, but my upgrade lane isn't ready atm. Going to stick to 7 for a year or two still. Backlog of games is gigantic anyway.