Corsair Community

Hello everyone,

Recently I started working on a fun, personal project to occupy my time by building my first PC. I've decided that this may be a relaxing way to "unwind" from my work, as I'm a Network Engineer and this seemed a bit less of a mental task and more physical one. That said, I've come to a sudden obstacle.

I currently have a Corsair 5000D Airflow tower and saw on Corsair's website/tower review videos that it is possible to have up to 13 fans installed; 3x 120mm front, 3x 120mm side, 6x 120mm AIO CPU cooler push/pull configuration, and 1x 120mm rear). Call it overkill, but I am intrigued and would like to test this.

The obstacle: wiring - HOW? Additionally, what other parts are needed, if necessary?

I currently have a Commander Pro, a Commander CORE (included with the AIO), and 2x RGB lighting hubs (included with each 3pk of RGB fans), as well as the pre-installed PWM on the rear/backside of the Airflow 5000D.

I have searched for hours trying to find some sort of video explanation or guide, but the only mention that I have located seems to require splitters. Is there no other way to make this work without the use of additional splitters? At the end of this all, ideally, I would prefer that the iCUE lighting function works with all the fan as well.

I'm not too concerned with costs of additional equipment if needed, I just need to know what is necessary and how to do so.

Just for safe measure, these are my current specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-core

CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix 

Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ATX M4

Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4-3200 CL16

Storage: Corsair MP600 PRO XT Gen4 PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD 1TB

GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12GB FTW3 Ultra Gaming LE iCX3

Tower: Corsair 5000D Ariflow ATX Mid

PSU: Corsair AXi 1600w 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX

Fans: 13x Corsair iCUE QL120mm

I appreciate any help on this matter and look forward to hearing your responses. I'll be sure to upload photos once this build is complete. Thank you!

You can also do it with a PWM powered hub.  Powered hubs plug directly into the PSU so they are not overloading your fan headers.  In fact, there is one located on the 5000D.   If one were to use a 360mm AIO, combined with the included PWM hub, and a Commander Pro, that would be more than enough PWM headers to do the job.  This would give a total of 13 (6 for the PWM hub, 3 for the AIO, and 6-2=4 (due to the hub and AIO) for the Commander Pro).

Edited by Latharion
  • Thanks 1

This is an Options.. diagram is for 10 fans. but adding another 3 would be straight forward..

4FwtdFi.png

as said above. you could replace the Commander Pro and RGB Fan LED Hub with a Powered PWM repeater hub and a Lighting Node Core