Corsair Community

ASUS TUF Gaming 3080 Ti GPU Compatibility - Confusion...

HarryN

Good Morning All,

I have been wanting to updated my Corsair 540 Air Carbide case (yes I know it's old, but I love the case and the space inside), and while Corsair's configurator is a little myopic in terms of recommendations for the custom loop configuration, but I know a 120 - 360 radiator will fit in the case no issue.  The reservoir setup will take some customization, but that is why I enjoy building PC's since the Pentium 90 days.  

Now to my questions, and looks like the jury is still out both at Corsair, Amazon (reviews), Google (reviews), some YouTubers (surprised even Linus hasn't taken this challenge with his enormous budget nowadays) about the XG7 block fitting on the ASUS TUF 3080 Ti.  Apparently the configurator says the XG7 block will fit on a 3080 Ti ASUS ROG Strix card, but not on the ASUS TUF Gaming 3080 Ti.    I thought both series uses the same reference for their PCBs and the only difference between the two is the clocking speeds.  This is not the case?  Anyone ever taken the two cards apart and done a comparison of them, side by side?  Has anyone tried on the XG7 GPU water block on their ASUS TUF Gaming 3080 Ti?  Any gotchas?  Did you have to swap the thermal pads over from the 3080 Ti TUF to the GPU water block?

Thank you, and hope everyone is having a safe and healthy day.

better wait for an official advice from Corsair. Usually they answer here on these too..

Even if a card uses the same PCB layout, they don't necesarely use the same components, and chokes, capacitor heights and size can vary, and not clear the waterblock, despite the PCB layout being the same.

That said, a 3080 TI on a 360 + 120 will get the water pretty warm. It should work but don't expect a silent build or stellar temperatures.

Hey LeDoyen, thanks for the reply.  I'd already written and received a reply from Corsair about this, and they said the XG7 will not work.  But then I see this:

Hydro X Series XG7 RGB 30-SERIES STRIX GPU Water Block (3090, 3080 Ti, 3080, 3070 Ti, 3070) (corsair.com)

Are the chokes, capacitor heights/sizes THAT different between a STRIX and TUF Gaming cards?  I don't see how they would be especially if the block fits so many 30 series cards, including the 3090.

I guess if someone has a link (I couldn't find it) that shows the difference between the PCB layout of a 3080 Ti Strix versus a 3080 Ti TUF Gaming side-by-side, maybe that would point out the minute details of what makes them different?  Here's the kicker, when looking at EKWorld or AlphaCool, their blocks fit all 3080 Ti cards?  LMAO!

apparently they are different enough that other manufacturers also make separate blocks for TUF and strix.

I use EK waterblocks, and had to wait a while to get the TUF version, while the strix had been out for a few months.

The Strix block covers 3080, 3080TI and 3090 Strix only

the TUF block covers all the same GPUs from the TUF series.

But you can't use a strix block on a tuf card. from the PCB pics i've seen online, the board itself is taller on Strix, the mounting holes are in different places, there's more VRM components on the strix.. they are just completely different