Corsair Community

pcie cable

wizzard1709

maybe a stupid question, is it possible to use the pcie cable vice versa? i need only one 8pin connector to the gpu, the cable of my 850 rmx has this pig tail on it which isn't very pretty, if it is possible to turn the pcie cable around the pig tail wouldn't be visible. thx for help.

cheers

the pinout is different on both ends, and if you did force them in some way you would effectively send 12V to ground and shut down the PSU with short circuit protection (on the PSU side you have 4x 12V and 4x ground, on the GPU side 3x 12V and 5x ground)

If you want to get rid of the cumbersome pigtail, you'll have to get new PCIE cables (not extensions, but proper cables made for corsair PSUs).

the RMx uses Type 4 cables, but for the PCIE you can use Type 3 or 4.

Corsair cables are classified like this (type 3 and 4), and third party cable manufacturers like cablemod use the same names 

Edited by LeDoyen

thanks for quick answer.

the sense of this pig tails is mysterious at least for me. the plug towards the gpu is 6 +2 and the tail is also 6+2, so for what do u use them?

to connect two plugs with just one cable... which may be a good idea for a low power GPU, but a recipe for BSOD on anything else

• Like 1