Corsair Community

H80iV2 with Ryzen 9 5900X

Hello

I am updating my PC and installing a Ryzen 9 5900x, in my old PC i have a H80iV2 and i want to know if the cooler is suitable for the Ryzen 9 5900x.

I used this cooler with a FX-8120 that has a TDP of 125W, the Ryzen 9 5900x has a TDP of 105W, so i think that is OK, right? (i don't want to OC or do some strange things :), just play games and use some CAD applications)

i know that i have to purchase the AM4 adaptor, but first i want to be sure that the cooler is OK.

Please could you help me?

Regards

First, TDP measurements are something of a black art. There's no standard for it and the chip companies don't even rate their own products the same way.

That said, the H80 should handle the 5900X but it'll likely struggle a bit, assuming that it's good. They do put off a bunch of heat - but so did those older chips. As with the older chip, you'd do better - with lower fan speeds and a quieter system - with a larger radiator. That H80 is going to be an older cooler though and they don't last forever. Sometimes just sloshing things around can dislodge gunk that finishes it off. That may or may not happen to you but you should be prepared for the possibility.