Corsair Community

Weird issue

davewuk

Corsair HX850 80 PLUS Platinum 9 months old today failed to start. RGB lights on my mobo shows power rails present and correct, I had to unplug it let the residual power dissipate and plug it back in, fired up ok....yes, yes it could be the mobo so the same info will be on the ASUS forum shortly. Otherwise everything has been fine, anybody else seen this?

Often happens with the PC on the carpet, or if the thing is full of dust in my experience, static electricity.

It's one of those annoying intermittent issues, and yes, most likely from the motherboard, but the motherboard may not be actually faulty.

Edited by LeDoyen

it happened just once or it happens regularely?

if there's no source of static, it may also be on the other end of that issue : a grounding problem. But house ground troubleshooting is a bit of a nightmare.

Since it's a new PSU (installed once, never taken out yet), it's possible the case isn't well earthed, and by extension, the motherboard. It's easy to check with a multimeter, checking the case against a mains socket's ground for continuity.

Sometimes the coat of paint on the case isn't scraped enough by the PSU mounting screws... there are "ground" connexions on the PSU cables but these are different from mains earth.

Shooting in the dark there, it's a weird intermittent issue ^^'

Edited by LeDoyen