Corsair Community

Corsair XD7 CPU temp problems.

guppysb

Hey All,

I recently decided to upgrade to water cooling for my new build. But I am having some problems with the CPU temp being too damn high (the rent is also too damn high).

Here's my specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x (105 watts)

GPU: Nvidia 3090 Founders Edition (350 watts)

Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-Pro

Power supply: EVGA 1000G2 (1000 watts)

Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL (Everyone and their mother, along with me, now has it)

CPU block: Corsair XC7 AM4 (I replaced the original paste with improved Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste)

GPU block: Corsair XG7 for 3090 FE

Radiators: Corsair XR7 360mm (55mm thick) x2

Pump/Reservoir: Corsair XD7

Fans: Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM (2,83 mm H₂O static pressure) x6, Noctua NF-F12 PWM (for CPU block) x1

Fan/LED Controller: Corsair iCue Commander Pro

Fittings: A bunch of different Corsair Hydro X compression fittings

Tubing: PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Soft Flexible Tubing -3/8in.ID x 1/2in.OD

Coolant: Corsair XL8 coolant (Blue)

As you can see from the list above, I have spent over 1k USD in Corsair parts alone.

Here's the PC:

image.thumb.png.f12f147808d40842dd66e5117f438f2b.png

Having followed all of Corsair's documentation, along with example of a 2x radiator loop with the XD7. I have connected the inlet port of the Corsair's XC7 cpu block to the inlet port of the XG7, and same for the outlet CPU port. I have also tried reversing it (inlet CPU XC7 goes to outlet CPU XD7), with worse results. The fans on the radiators are blowing in the direction of the radiators. So all fans are blowing the hot air to the top and the bottom of the CPU case. The brown noctua fan is blowing cool air onto the XC7 CPU water block. However, when my GPU is on idle (32 C) and my CPU are on idle (46 C), I am getting a 14 C difference between the 2. When the GPU is idle (34 C), and the CPU is on full Prime95 test, 100% load, the CPU's temp jumps to 82 C. What I am doing wrong here? What can I improve? It's frustrating on spending an extra $1600 on water cooling hardware to have these temps.

Edited by guppysb

Your cpu and gpu will never idle at the same temp. Coolant temp is the minimum possible hardware temperature and you will see the gpu sit right about that level when on the desktop. The gpu does a pretty good job of unloading itself and dropping to a minimum voltage state. However, the cpu rarely gets to that minimum because there isn’t much of a low Vcore state without using very heavy power saving features to sap its responsiveness. Ryzen 3 processors remain very active and mid-40s is what most other users report as well, regardless of cooling method. Even on Intel, a plus 3-5C core temp above coolant is about as low as you go. The cpu doesn’t drop off the way it used to on older models. 

I don’t see anything particularly wrong with 82C for Prime95 either. It is Vcore dependent as well as silicon specific, but that’s a heavy test and where most will end up.  Remember voltage and physical conductivity/materials will determine things like idle and instant 100% load temperature. The pump, radiator, fans, and coolant are the secondary part of the process — waste heat disposal. They transport the heat picked up at the block and then it’s expelled from the dystem via the radiator. Coolant temp is minimum hardware temp so that is the connection.  Where custom loops with multiple radiators excel over other cooling mechanics is over time. A small 120x120 AIO might give you the same cpu temp in Prime, at least for 5-10 seconds. At that point the heat being added exceeds the removal rate and the liquid/cpu temp increases. The more radiators you have, the higher your capacity to remove heat, but that can’t prevent the cpu/gpu from getting hot in the first place when you turn up the voltage. 

Thanks for the reply C-Attack. I guess the temps are really good for my fans being at 60% and my room temp being 80 F. Increasing the fan speed to 100% does reduce the temp but the whole point of the custom loop was for me to have a nearly silent case. I'll keep the fans around 70% load and everything should work out because almost nothing should put the CPU in 100% load state for an extended period of time.