Corsair Community

Initial Corsair One Pro A200 Impression

I ordered a fully loaded A200 (5950x/3080Ti/64GB/2TB) last Thursday and received it yesterday (Tuesday). It was a very fast delivery. I live 25 miles from Corsair HQ. But the item was shipped from Taiwan. This computer is about 75% larger in size than my other computer, a Mac Pro 6,1 (aka Trashcan). So far, I really like it! 🙂

I updated all device drivers, and Windows 10 to 21H1 version. There is no fan issue like those I have read from this forum. The thermo operation is stable. I believe Corsair has limited the multi-core performance to achieve this. I will talk more later in this post.

The system is really quiet, even though it has 3 fans (top, GPU VRAM fan, and PS fan) and 2 water pumps. As a comparison, my MP 6,1 has only 1 fan. But it runs at 780 rpm vs. Corsair One Pro's default of 400-550 rpm during web surfing. My MP 6,1 also runs a bit cooler in web surfing operations.

The following is my initial findings of the issues:

1. Bluetooth connectivity with keyboard and mouse: I have a set Logitech BT multi-computer keyboard and mouse. They can work with 3 computers by setting which one they connect to. These keyboard and mouse have connected to many computers (both Windows and Mac). But they have problems with Corsair One. The mouse can connect to Corsair One but its connectivity is unstable. As a result, you get jerky moves. The keyboard cannot even be connected with Corsair One. This is odd.

2. Performance: the following is expected from a small Windows PC with powerful CPU and GPU. But let me state my findings. The iCue software can effectively increase the fan speed and I have not seen thermo throttling on the CPU. The Geekbench 5 results are as follows:

Single-core: 1,670, Multi-core: 14,611

The average performance of AMD 5950x, as shown in Geekbench website, are: single-core: 1,689, multi-core: 16,673. When I did the Geekbench 5 test, I used full fan speed (around 2,000 rpm) and so the CPU did not get more than 75C. The average CPU clock speed is between 3.7GHz and 3.8GHz.

I'll stop here and see if others have comments. All comments are welcome.

Update:

1. I have found the source that interfered with the BT and I removed it. Now the BT keyboard and mouse both work properly. 🙂

2. I changed the power setting to performance from balanced. The Geekbench 5 scores improve a little too. Now the single-core score is 1697. The multi-core score is now 14,917. 

The bottom-line from the Geekbench 5 testing is that Corsair trades about 10.5% of multi-core performance for a quiet and small unit, if you are willing to pay for its premium. I paid around $5,500 USD for it, after taxes and 3-year warranty. This is a bit less than what I have spent on my Apple Mac Pro 6,1 over the last 7 years. 

Unless I find some major flaws in the next 28 days, I plan to keep Corsair One Pro A200. I also think Corsair has done a good job on this unit. 

Update:

The Cinebench R23 multi-core score for my unit is 23,663, which is a bit less than the average 28,782 shown on some website. So I used HWMonitor to investigate what is going on. I found the core power consumption is limited to 85W. The R9 5950x has a core power consumption rating of 105W. Apparently, it is reduced to 85W to keep the system from overheat.