Corsair Community

Coolant overheating?

CCGert

I have a 9900k overclocked to 5.1Ghz with a H150 Elite Capellix. Coolant temp hits 56c and my cooler and attached fans start flashing read. Errors in iCue says Overheating: THe device is working in the Fail-Safe Mode. At 56c??? So I set a custom alert for coolant temp at 90c to trigger red LEDs. Still does this alert at 56c. This did not happen prior to iCue 4.14. I have updated to 4.15 and it still happens. This is annoying. Please fix this

coolant temp should never go beyond 60C. ideally you want to keep it at all times way under 50.

If it goes that high you want to check your case airflow, if you're not dumping the GPU heat through the AIO (happens when they are set to exhaust, with a high power GPU in there) or check your overclock settings.

Also, the failsafe feature is not set in iCUE, it's an internal alarm in the AIO. Either way your coolant is way too hot.

Anytime your coolant is over 50C you should assume you have a problem. Most users will see a baseline H150i Temp of 4-7C over the room ambient temperature or equal to the internal case ambient. At load, an overclocked 9900K should raise coolant about 7-8C on a max stress test. 

Check to make sure there is a reported pump speed, but that is no guarantee. If the coolant temp is 56C, then the exhaust off the rad should also be approximately the same temp. If the air feels cold, heat is not getting to the radiator and there is a flow problem. It might be possible to do this environmentally if you were to put the case in a confined space where it is recycling it’s own exhaust, but in that instance everything will be hot across all hardware. Other clear warning signs are on cold boot you can see the cpu and coolant steadily climbing every few seconds. 

My airflow is very good on the 011D. 6 intake and 3 exhaust. The air coming out of the radiator is also very warm. I have set the pump to extreme and its running just over 2700 rpm

Come to think of it, I do get some rattle in the pump from time to time. The radiator is up top the proper way. Maybe the loop was not filled all the way? It is only a few months old.