A7N8X-E Deluxe errors running TwinX1024-3200c2

william39

I will start with my system setup:

Athlon 3.2 400fsb

Memory Corsair twinx1024-3200c2(2x512)

video MSI 6600gt 8x agp

memory timings: Duel channel 2.5t 3-3-6

no auto settings, all manual.

I started trouble shooting with Memtest86v3.2.

First I ran the test single stick 2.5t 3-3-6 no errors, second stick got 14 errors in test 8.

I think the one is bad and causing the other not to function properly in dual channel mode. Do you think my deduction is correct, or should I run more tests?

Just as a note I already sent back one pair of memory already. What are the chances of two pairs being bad. Bad batch maybe?

Is this memory not compatible with this board? I know this board was one of the test boards for this exact memory,but did they not run it in dual channel mode?

Is ther a work around or do you think the one stick is bad?

Any help would be appreciated.......

They're compatible. Upgrade the BIOS to the latest version.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have the latest BIOS rev 1013.

Do you have any other test I could try?

I noticed a thread in one of the forums somewhere, said that the memory I have may not be able to keep up with the processor. Is processor FSB speed that critical to memory stability?

If you get errors on test 8, what does that usually tell you?

I would suggest testing the modules in another system, and failures in test 5 or 8 generally suggest some other problem.

Thanks Ram Guy.

I think most of my errors were in test 8.

What should I try next?

The test errors occured in single mode.

What would cause error code 8?

I also tried increasing the ddr voltage to 2.7 and it caused errors faster.

• Corsair Employees
Its not that simple, but normally if increasing the voltage to 2.7 or 2.8 Volts generates errors that might suggest a power/chipset problem. Can you test the modules in another system? And we can try replacing the modules if you like. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Its not that simple, but normally if increasing the voltage to 2.7 or 2.8 Volts generates errors that might suggest a power/chipset problem. Can you test the modules in another system? And we can try replacing the modules if you like. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

I don't know if you are aware of this but the north bridge on this mother board is not actively cooled, would that make a difference?(more heat etc.)

That also makes me wonder about the temp on the CPU also. With the case closed the CPU gets in the 130 degree f. range is that some thing to look at?

I just ran memtest on both chips singlely in single mode. No errors. I let the test run over night on one and about 6 hours on the other.

Put them in dual mode, 40,000 plus errors in test 5. The timings for all the tests were 2.5t 3-3-6.

In dual channel mode, what actually happens to the memory to cause it to error out? Some thing not taking the speed?

:confused:

• Corsair Employees

Please try these settings:

With the A7N8X-E please set the FSB jumper to pins 2-3 with the modules in slots 2-3 and then reset or clear the bios and load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the timings manually. Then please test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200 MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

I have had 4 of these exact MB's and this is what had to be done to solve problems with aggressive memory, no matters who's I tested. In addition, a few other's had some success disabling Spread Spectrum in the bios as well. I would take a look at http://www.asusforums.org as well in the AMD section.

Please try these settings:

With the A7N8X-E please set the FSB jumper to pins 2-3 with the modules in slots 2-3 and then reset or clear the bios and load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the timings manually. Then please test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200 MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

I have had 4 of these exact MB's and this is what had to be done to solve problems with aggressive memory, no matters who's I tested. In addition, a few other's had some success disabling Spread Spectrum in the bios as well. I would take a look at http://www.asusforums.org as well in the AMD section.

I will test my system with those settings you just mentioned today sometime.

In the mean time, I tested the memory last night, memory in slot 1 and 2, which is single mode. Got errors in test 5 and 8.

Thanks for the help so far!

:confused:

Please try those settings and test the modules one at a time, but getting errors in test 5 and 8 would suggest some other problem.

Thanks for the help.

I installed modded bios.

Everything is working now.

No errors.

FYI: AF.org doesn't point to the Asus forum anymore, just to the main domain space. At one point it MAY point to a modified front page, when the front page is done (it has one bug related to the article system ATM).

I'm in a similar boat, but CANNOT get my memory running at DDR400 no matter what I try. My main indicator of problems has been UT2K4 and MemTest86 v1.55. WinXP and related programs seem to work, but when I fire up Unreal Tournament 2004, it CTDs anywhere from immediately starting a new game to a few minutes into playing.

Running MemTest86 test #5 seems to be a good indicator of problems. It doesn't give me any errors until it gets to about 98% done with the test. Then it explodes with errors and I get in the 30000 - 40000 range.

Here's my system:

CPU: Athlon XP 3200+

MB: ASUS A7N8X-E, rev 1.01

Memory: Corsair TWINX1024-3200c2 (I see "v1.5" on the sticker if that means anything)

Timings: Dual channel 2.5t 3-3-6

no auto settings, all manual.

I've tried the recommended settings that Ram Guy posted in this thread (switch the jumper, voltage, memory timings etc.) That didn't work. I downloaded and installed the modded BIOS (C18e1013_1T.zip) like William39 did. That didn't work either. I've tried moving the memory around, swapping slots, testing it individually, etc. etc. etc.. No matter what, I get problems.

The ONLY thing that seems to make it stable is if set the memory frequency to 83%. When I do this, I'm running at DDR333 speed and my system is completely stable. No CTDs in UT2K4. No problems in MemTest86 (ran THAT for 6 hours in this configuration with 0 errors across all tests w/14 passes). Thing is, what's the point of paying for DDR400 memory if you end up running it at DDR333?

Are you guys completely certain about the compatibility between memory and motherboard revisions (as in v1.5 Corsair memory versus v1.01 ASUS motherboard)?

I would run this memory on a different board, but the other MBs I have are NOT Ultra 400.

Thanks,

--tim

• Corsair Employees

We can try replacing the modules but please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and lets make sure one is not failing. I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Check this out. I've got another machine (A7N8X-X running at DDR333) that has 2 x CMX256A-3200C2 sticks for a total of 512MB. I popped these into my A7N8X-E Deluxe machine and ran MemTest86 (from http://www.memtest.org). It passed the entire test TWICE with no errors.

Here's the exact information from the sticker on the memory that's not working for me:

CMX512-3200C2 XMS3202v1.5

0518003-1

XMS3200 512MB 400MHz CL2

Both of these are labelled exactly the same.

Here's the exact information from the stickers on the memory that IS working for me (albeit 512MB instead 1024MB):

CMX256A-3200C2 XMS3202v1.1

XMS3200 256MB 400MHz CL2

Both of these are labelled exactly the same.

I'll try to run these 512MB sticks on the A7N8X-X board and see what happens.

--tim

Curiouser and curiouser....I put the TWINX1024 sticks in the A7N8X-X machine and left the CPU clock set to 166MHz (it's got an Athlon XP 2700+ which is limited to a 333MHz FSB). In order to test at DDR400, I changed the memory setting to 120%, and had the memory timings set to 6-3-3-2.5. The full memory range was recognized, but came up in single channel mode -- I don't believe the A7N8X-X supports Dual Channel mode. Anyhow, I've had it make a full pass of MemTest86 with NO ERRORS.

Are you certain that this rev of memory is compatible with the A7N8X-E Deluxe rev 1.01 board? I'm more than willing to replace the sticks and try another pair, but wonder if it isn't a basic incompatiblity issue that simple replacements won't necessarily fix.

--tim

Tim

You should have a reply by now if not; please either call our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0" or follow the link in my signature "If you have submitted the RMA using the on line form and have not got a reply!"

Tim

Have you tried the modded bios's that are posted on the ASUSforums.

I have the exact same board you have and had the same problems. I updated my bios to the modded one and have not had any trouble running in dual mode 400 and cpu running full 400 mhz.

I am not sure how to post that bios on this forum.

If any one can assists me I will post it.

The name of the bios was C18e1013_2T.

Hope this helps, Sorry I took so long to reply!

:D:

Archived