Corsair Community

New iCUE H100i RGB Pro XT Overheat - Broken Pump/Partial Green Light

MikeG70

Hello -

Just installed the new cooler and getting system overheats even at idle.

Checked that the cooler is seated properly, all connections are secure (my MB is a 4pin CPU fan header, but using the 3pin provided on the cool - inserted correctly).

Fans on cooler are working, only odd thing is the led ring around the pump is only partially lit (green in the upper left corner).

Checked Bios and don't see any fan control or other-type options (MSI Z270 Gaming M7 with I7-7700K not OC'd)

Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot?

73467677-7BB4-492D-BBD6-6FCC0CFDD080.jpeg

Edited by MikeG70
Added photo

4 minutes ago, MikeG70 said:

Just installed the new cooler and getting system overheats even at idle.

Let's focus on this.  The lighting doesn't matter if the pump is running.  Power for that device comes from the SATA connector.  The tachometer wire to the MB only reports pump speed and is not required for functionality.  However, it may help here. 

1) Do you see any pump speed at all from the MB connector with the tach connector?  

2) When it overheats, does CPU temp skip really fast upwards 50..55...60...70..80..90.. in about 10-15 seconds.  Then all subsequent attempts fail because the CPU is already at 90C when you power on?  This is the classic sign of no water flow and the coolant trapped in the CPU block is being heated at rapid pace, then takes hours to passively dissipate to the rest of the fluid.  

If you see any of the above, all you can really do is check the SATA connector or try another port.  If the same result, this is probably a bad cooler.  No RPM reported, hot, and a screwed up LED screams electrical problems to me, but ultimately if it's not working the cause doesn't matter and you need to send it back or contact Corsair Support for the same.  Vendor is usually the fastest option.  

thanks for the reply.

Quick report -

1) Changed SATA port

2) thought it was working better as it hovered around 70, but alas, note. Temps run up fast, but then drop back to the low 80s, then fluctuates back towards upper 90s, but is very unstable (going from 95+, down to 85, then back up, then down to as low as 77, then back up). Even in bios mode, CPU is getting to 100.

3) iCue shows the temps, but I don't see the device listed to get any pump speed info

4) Checked some FAQs here, noted one change to bios regarding "handoff" which I enabled.

5) My bios has no option to check fan control power to ensure it is at max/100%

6) With the MSI control panel, I can see that the CPU fan doesn't show activity (zero RPMs).

7) Cooler fans are running full speed all the time.

Thinking it is a defective unit, but that would be too easy! 😛

Did note that one tube was warmer than the other which logically makes sense since one in the inflow and one out.

At this point, going to swap it out at Microcenter to see if it is was me or the cooler (likely me!).

Only other thought was perhaps the angle of the tubes was bad. As you can see, they drop down from the top, but then turn back up into the pump. I even tried moving the tubes around, but no benefit.

Edited by MikeG70

1 hour ago, MikeG70 said:

Did note that one tube was warmer than the other which logically makes sense since one in the inflow and one out.

No, this is a strong warning sign. The drop in temp through the radiator is 1-1.5C. That is below touch perception levels. One hot, one cold means no flow and heat is slowly emanating from the water trapped in the block. 

None of that MB control or cue control stuff maters on this unit. SATA is power and the pump will run 2000 rpm minimum when it has power. You can disconnect the usb and the tach wire and it should still work. Your coolant temp is about 70C and the cpu runs higher than that based on voltage. This unit needs to go back. 

You can’t do this to a unit by accident. I think it most likely there was a substantial electrical failure on the first power on. That was set in motion on the assembly line. It’s not supposed to do this.